Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make fields required when creating forms

Alex John April 26, 2023

Hello - I am trying to make it so that my individual teams can customize the way tickets are created for their projects by having them create required fields for internal customers when making tickets (such as due date).  I don't want these to be optional - if someone makes a certain type of ticket they will have to fill out all fields associated.  Is this possible with forms, or should I be doing this some other way?

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2023

Hi Alex,

You can do this with advanced forms (i.e. Proforma Form). Those don't come natively with Jira Work Management projects though, so you would need to request Atlassian Support to turn that on for your instance so that you can create an advanced form for your JWM project. 

Alex John April 27, 2023

Looking into it is seems that Proforma is something we would have to purchase - do you use it, and what has your experience been?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2023

If you are using Jira Cloud, there should be no extra purchase - I believe it comes included. 

And I certainly use it and am a big fan of it.  :-)

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jeroen Poismans
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2023

Hi John!

You can do this with Validators:

• Identify the workflow associated with your project and issue type
  • Edit the workflow
  • Open the Create  transition
  • Add a Validator
  • You can add multiple fields in the same Validator

Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 21.37.29.png

Hope this helps!

Jeroen

Alex John April 26, 2023

Can a validator prevent a ticket from being made unless this required field is filled out?  We want to make people populate these fields as part of making the ticket so that our teams don't have to immediately reach out to the customer to gather the information anyway.

Jeroen Poismans
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2023

Yes, it can. When you put the Validator on the Create transition. When the fields included in the Validator are not filled out, the creation will stop and error message on the required fields will be shown.

Jeroen

Alex John April 27, 2023

It looks like all I can validate in JWM for a transition between "Start" and a To Do titled "Backlog" is to make sure that whomever is making that transition has permissions to do so, not that fields are being required:

Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 4.21.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-04-27 at 4.22.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-04-27 at 4.22.45 PM.png

Jeroen Poismans
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2023

Oh, I see, is this by any chance a Team-managed project you're working in? Because that will certainly limit the possibilities in the validator section.

Jeroen

Alex John April 27, 2023

That did it!  If I wanted to create a Company-Managed project and use all of my new base settings as a template, would I then turn it into a Team-Managed (assuming that I didn't want people to mess with the settings too much)?

Like John Funk likes this
Jeroen Poismans
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2023

Well, you can't change a Company managed to a Team managed just like that. If you want the extended capabilities of Company managed project, you will have to work with Company managed projects 😀.

You can however, by fine-tuning the permission scheme, limit what your user can or can not do within the project.

Here an additional resources explaining the difference between the two:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/migrate-between-team-managed-and-company-managed-projects/

Jeroen

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events