Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have a field for multiple tasks in one epic roll up to a field in an epic

Mona Aghamirsalim May 17, 2023

jwm 4.JPGjwm 3.JPGjwm 2.JPGjwm 1.JPG

Imagine each Epic and Task (that is a child of the Epic) have a field called JWM Story Points. How can I have the JWM Story Points field of the epic, show the sum of  the JWM Story Points of all its children. {{issue.children.JWM Story Points.sum}}, {{issue.child.JWM Story Points.sum}} and {{issue.tasks.JWM Story Points.sum}} and {{issue.task.JWM Story Points.sum}} have not worked so far. I do know that this idea will work for subtasks -{{issue.subtasks.JWM Story Points.sum}}- for a friend of mine but I have tasks that roll up to an epic not subtasks rolling up to a task. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2023

Hello @Mona Aghamirsalim 

You need to use a Lookup Issue action within in your For branch to lookup the child issues of the Epic.

Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 8.28.43 AM.png

You'll have to change the field name from "Story Points" to the name you use for your field.

Mona Aghamirsalim May 21, 2023

I am not sure why this is not working for me. your response Looks very promising though and I hope you don't give up on me :) . I did whatever you said except instead of story points I have JWM Story Points and instead of Story, I have task. Maybe if it is task I should use something other than {{issue.key}}? jwm 3.JPGjwm 2.JPGjwm 1.JPG

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2023

I apologize. I missed an error in your rule.

The For branch has selected the wrong item. "For Parent" is to find the parent issue only for subtask type issues.

When you want to find the parent Epic you need to use "For Epic (parent)":

Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 9.32.37 PM.png

Mona Aghamirsalim May 22, 2023

jwm 1.JPGjwm 2.JPGjwm 3.JPGjwm 4.JPG

I feel you are soooo close to solving this issue :) . The numbers still don't roll up. The trigger is any change to JWM Story Points. when I trigger the task level JWM story points to populate, the automation runs for the tasks successfully (look at log) and it runs for the parent as well but the JWM story Points for the parent (epic) is not populated. So odd since something must be happening to the JWM story points field of the Epic (parent) or why would the automation get triggered for the epic even if it is take no action? 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2023

I have just now noticed that you are working in a Team Managed project (looking at the bottom left corner of the very first image in your original post).

Team Managed projects don't use the "Epic Link" field. Instead they use the "Parent" field.

In the Lookup Issues action in your For Epic (parent) branch, change "Epic Link"  to "Parent" in the JQL.

Mona Aghamirsalim May 22, 2023

MAGIC! Thank you SOOO MUCH!

Like Trudy Claspill likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events