Filters for "queues" on task project?

Mariano May 14, 2021

Hello! Hope you're all having a good day and staying safe!

I just created a Business type project from templates called "Task Tracking".

001.png

It works almost perfect for what I need, except for one thing: On the Board view, the tasks are ordered by task number or by deadline (I think), but I would like to order them by deadline AND priority.

However, unlike Jira issue queues, there is no way to edit any queue and modify the JQL to order the issues.

I understand that in such project, issues or "cards" are ordered by their status and not a queue, so to speak. But isn't there a way to customize the way I see tickets on my board?

I also just noticed I can move the cards up and down manually, but I would still like a way to do this automatically.

Also, is there a way to modify what we see on the Board view? I would like to see the priority arrows like in Trello:

002.png

I understand the cards are small, but maybe I need some other type of project?

Thanks so much in advance ! 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2021

Hi @Mariano

from your last comment I seem to understand you are looking for a software project (to use Kanban-based boards).

Yes, you can create one using the following tutorial (just as an example).

You could decide for a company-managed project or a team-managed project whereas I, personally, would recommend a company-managed project as it seems you want a higher flexibility what rather the strength of a company-managed project.
However, please do your own assessment before starting:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/what-are-team-managed-and-company-managed-projects/

Of course you can customize the cards on Kanban Board later. Please also refer to this documentation:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/customize-cards/

The sorting of on kanban board is done via the board's underlying filter query - you absolutetely can adapt it like described here:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-filters/

Regards,
Daniel

Mariano June 29, 2021

@Daniel Ebers sorry for the late reply! I'm still sorting out my notification game in here!

Thanks a lot for the detailed info, this surely will help me put my projects back on track. Thank you!

1 vote
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2021

Hi @Mariano,

Jira Work Management is still in early stage of development and I am sure there will be improvements to come. What you describe in terms of board functionality is available with much more flexibility in software projects, but be aware that you can't have manual and automatic ordering of issues at the same time.

Also, JWM projects do offer functionality that is not available in software projects, such as the calendar and list views or forms.

As a workaround for the sorting (mainly for reporting purposes), you can always build your own queries through Filters > Advanced issue search where you do have control over sorting.

Hope this helps!

Mariano May 14, 2021

Thanks for the quick input @Walter Buggenhout !

I felt tempted to use a Software project, but I thought it was too far off from a simple Kanban style board for having a card, priority and deadline. That's all.

I prefer automatic ordering, I was just pointing out JWM does not have this, and I am left with the manual ordering (or by deadline, I think).

I don't really need any other view like calendar or list though, however at least calendar is a good option. Can this be added to Jira software projects? The board is what I need the most, but with at least some sorting.

The query idea is good! But my main need is for viewing purposes. I need to see a board with the most urgent cards on top, and the ones about to deadline soon also on top.

I did see there's another type of template called "Personal task list" or something? Is it the same or different in any way?

Thanks in advance!

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2021

Hi @Mariano,

I personally don't use templates that much, as I like to take control over configuration and most of the time share configurations across multiple projects.

But expect the differences between mostly to be in preconfigured workflows (and columns on your boards), screens and available custom fields maybe or issue types you can use in your projects. Core features (how you can sort or filter your boards) are part of the product and not of the templates.

Like Mariano likes this
Mariano May 14, 2021

Thanks again for your input @Walter Buggenhout !  And excuse me for sounding like such a n00b, but that means I can setup a new project from scratch, and for example, just make it show a Board view with tasks, and configure the cards to show certain info, or at least be sorted in certain way?

If that's the case, could you point me to any guides on how to do this?

Thanks again!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events