Filter by subtasks depending on other subtasks

Pauline Hild April 11, 2023

Hello,

I want to create a filter that shows me a certain subtask (conditions see screenshot), but only if the subtasks that need to be done before ("Isolation", "Sample QC" and "Library") already have the status "Done" or "not needed". How must the syntax look like for this?

Bildschirm­foto 2023-04-11 um 15.37.30.png

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2023

Hello @Pauline Hild 

How do you know the other subtasks need to be done before the one you want to retrieve? Are they linked in some way?

I don't think there is actual a way to do this with native Jira search functionality, but it might be possible with third party apps that extend the search functionality with additional functions.

Pauline Hild April 12, 2023

Hello @Trudy Claspill 

Each task has the same subtasks, which must all be processed in the same order one after the other. They are created in this order by an automation (see screenshot), but are otherwise not linked to each other.
The filter should show tasks where the first three tasks are already done, but the fourth task is not yet done. I hope it is now clear what I meant.

Bildschirm­foto 2023-04-12 um 14.50.09.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2023

I can't think of a method to do this with native Jira JQL functionality.

Jira JQL doesn't have any function to select subtasks based on the order they appear in the list, so there is no method in JQL for Jira to know which subtasks need to be completed (based on issue ordering) before the one you want to retrieve.

If you used issue linking to link the subtasks, so that each subtask was linked to the preceding subtasks with a "depends on" or "blocked by" link, then with the aid of third party apps you might be able to construct a query to get what you want.

It might be possible to construct an Automation Rule that would first retrieve all the #4 subtasks, and then check if the first three tasks associated with the same parent are completed. I'm not positive because I haven't tried to work through the details.

How often do you need/want to get this report?

What do you need/want to do with the report? Does it need to be emailed to people?

Pauline Hild April 13, 2023

Since the names of the subtasks are always the same, I thought that in addition to the other search criteria, it might be possible to enter in the syntax that all subtasks with a certain summary (the subtasks are always named the same) must have the status "Done" or "not needed", but I haven't managed to do that yet.

The report is supposed to provide information about the status of the projects from time to time. The purpose of the filter is to get a quick overview of how many projects still have this subtask open, so that you can do it for several tasks at the same time.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events