Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Project as Organized

Mark Trotter January 24, 2023

I have a project in JWM with hundreds of epics, tasks, and subtasks.  I have reorganized the order which was set up (initially) by the project participants (by direction of management).

I would like to export all from JIRA into Excel, but I am not able to find a way to export in the order I now have my project set up.  There is ascending or descending by parent, which is a (very) little helpful, but I have moved epics, tasks, and subtasks all over, and none of them are in numeric order.

Is there a way to export my existing structure that I just haven't figured out yet?

Thanks!

Mark

1 answer

1 vote
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2023

Hi @Mark Trotter 

The native export feature will simply list all the issues but there are fields like Epic Link, Parent Link (Advanced Roadmaps), Parent ID. Not ideal but you can use these fields to reformat your sheet or create some pivots to display hierarchy.

I hope it helps.

Ravi

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2023

Hey, @Mark Trotter.  There are also some Jira apps on the Atlassian Marketplace that provide better exporting capabilities that may help.  (I cannot vouch for them personally for your use case.)  And, there are some advanced hierarchy apps that is some cases can create the board you describe without having to export anything.

Hope this helps,

-dave

Like Mark Trotter likes this
Mark Trotter January 26, 2023

I appreciate that pointer, Dave.  I will take a look - and any/all recommendations welcome from you or others who may see this.

It's good to be able to restructure a project plan.  However, by default, only being able to export in essentially a numeric order and then having to manually reconstruct the project plan WBS seems like a pretty big oversight to me.

If I can see the order I want right there in the List fully expanded, how is it I can't readily export exactly that?  Again, I fully admit there may be a way I just haven't yet learned.

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Mark Trotter January 26, 2023

Interesting...  I took a look at several exporting tools in the Atlassian Marketplace, and I didn't find anything that met my need to export my reorganized project plan in the same order as I have it appearing in the List (Expanded) view.  :sad face:  

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2023

That's unfortunate. I'm sorry you couldn't find what you needed.

Like Mark Trotter likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events