Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expanding hierarchy of issue types

Patryk Potaczek January 14, 2022

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I have a question about native Jira and creating more issue types in an expanded hierarchy. What I mean is, is it possible to create types above or below standard "Epic>Task>Subtask" issue types?

I haven't found the answer on forums or the Jira Software Cloud resources site.

Thank you

3 answers

3 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2022

Welcome to the Community!

Plain Jira only has issue -> Sub-task.   Software adds the Epic layer.  For more, you will need apps or premium subscriptions - Advanced Roadmaps adds initiatives and themes above Epic, and apps like Big Picture and Easy Agile make representations of more layers.  Structure is an app designed to give you complete freedom in setting up a wider hierarchy!

Patryk Potaczek January 16, 2022

Thank you very much for your answer.

I am using the Structure app for a different reason. It is true that it might help me organise projects in a more hierarchical order.

Patryk

Like # people like this
2 votes
Answer accepted
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 15, 2022

Hi @Patryk Potaczek

welcome to the community!

Here's another app that you might like: JXL for Jira. It's a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view on your issues that allows configuring as many hierarchy levels as you want - either based on Jira's native parent-child relationships (as discussed by Nic before), or based on issue links between issues.

Here's how a 5 level hierarchy looks in JXL:

5-level-hierarchy.gif

It's worth nothing that JXL can do way more than that. E.g. you can freely configure the table to match your needs, inline-edit your issues either individually or in bulk, perform quick sorting and filtering, and much more. More info at https://jxl.app. Disclaimer: I work on JXL :))

Hope this helps,

Hannes

Thank you for your answer!

It does resamble a spreadsheet. I can imagine working on that. It can quickly bring familiarity to a recipient of working with something intuitive.

Patryk

Like # people like this
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 17, 2022

Awesome @Patryk Potaczek - just to clarify one more point: JXL allows showing any of your fields. You can add, remove, or re-arrange them to perfectly match your use case!

张健龙 July 24, 2022

This JXL give us another way to handle the Link  Hierarchy 

2 votes
Answer accepted
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
January 14, 2022

Hi @Patryk Potaczek 

Welcome to the community !!

You can use issue links to create your own hierarchy above and below Epics or infact at any level.

To visualize the hierarchy based on the issue links, we have created an app to track the progress at each level,

Agile Tools - Epic Tree, Links Tree and Time in Status 

Key features of Links Hierarchy:

• Hierarchy upto 10 levels deep
  • Progress % on "remaining estimate" or "original estimates"
  • Edit Issue summary, time estimates, story points and assignee on the tree with real time updates in the progress
  • Rolled up percentage completion at all levels
  • Ability to add/remove the columns on the report

Links Hierarchy.png

Thank you for answering my trouble.

I have looked at provided pictures of the app on the marketplace. I understand that it is also flexible regarding what data it shows in columns.

I will check it out.

Patryk

Like Rahul_RVS_Support likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events