Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error finding the Parent ID

Jael Palmeiro de Carvalho October 20, 2023

I'm trying to import existing tasks from a issue that already exist, so, there's this error and I can't find that field "Parent Issue" too.
I would like to know if it's a native field or it's something that i have to search on everytime i'll do the import.

The error is: "You have to define which CSV column maps to Issue Id if you want to import sub-tasks."

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2023

Hello @Jael Palmeiro de Carvalho 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

If you want to import subtask and add them to as children under an issue that already exists, then in your CSV file you have to include an entry for each subtask that has the issue key for the parent task to which you want to add the imported subtask.

Example:

Type,Summary,Parent
Sub-task,Summary for my issue,ABC-123

When you execute the import you then need to map that Parent field from the CSV file to the Parent ID field.

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 4.12.05 PM.png

Jael Palmeiro de Carvalho October 23, 2023

Thanks, that solved my first problem, but now they request an issue ID (red line on the top):
image_720.pngimage.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 23, 2023

Yes, that is correct. That is stated at the bottom of the screen.

Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 1.22.49 PM.png

You just need to add another field/column to your CSV file to contain a unique number for Issue ID for each sub-task. Just a number; it doesn't have to match an issue key.

FINA ALFI KHASANAH
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 6, 2024

but i can't find parent id field when maping subtask, how can i configurate this?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2024

@FINA ALFI KHASANAH 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

The Jira product has changed since the answer was written.

Review the message at the bottom of the import field mapping screen:

Child-parent relationships

To import child-parent relationships, define the column mapping for: Issue Id, Parent and Issue Type

The Parent ID field is no longer in use. Now you need to use the Parent field.

Like David de la Rosa Martin likes this
Brian Franklin January 10, 2024

@Trudy Claspill 

But what goes in the parent field now??  

Below is my import template from before (when I used Parent ID).  Now it gives an error even when I use "parent" instead.

CSV:

Issue TypeIssue IDParent IDSummaryPriorityStart DateDue DateComplete DateAssigneeSprintStatusDescription
Story1 Story 1High 19-Jan-24  732 Description of story
Subtask21Subtask 1.2  19-Jan-24  732 Description of subtask
Subtask31Subtask 1.33  19-Jan-24  732 Description of subtask
Story4 Story 4Highest 19-Jan-24  732 Description of story
Subtask54Subtask 4.5  19-Jan-24  732 Description of subtask
Subtask64Subtask4.6  19-Jan-24  732 Description of subtask
Story7 Story 7Low 19-Jan-24  732 Description of story

• Subtask 'Subtask 1.2' doesn't have a valid Parent selection during the validate phase. Issue may not be created.
  • Subtask 'Subtask 1.33' doesn't have a valid Parent selection during the validate phase. Issue may not be created.
  • Subtask 'Subtask 4.5' doesn't have a valid Parent selection during the validate phase. Issue may not be created.
  • Subtask 'Subtask4.6' doesn't have a valid Parent selection during the validate phase. Issue may not be created.

I tried pre-creating the stories so they would have issue-keys and tried using those.  Got same errors:

Issue TypeIssue IDParent IDSummaryPriorityStart DateDue DateComplete DateAssigneeSprintStatusDescription
StoryCFP-9206 Story 1High 19-Jan-24  732 Description of story
Subtask2CFP-9206Subtask 1.2 19-Jan-24  732 Description of subtask
Subtask3CFP-9206Subtask 1.33 19-Jan-24  732 Description of subtask
StoryCFP-9207 Story 4Highest 19-Jan-24  732 Description of story
Subtask5CFP-9207Subtask 4.5 19-Jan-24  732 Description of subtask
Subtask6CFP-9207Subtask4.6 19-Jan-24  732 Description of subtask

Tried using the Story Issue ID.  Same results:

Story121456 Story 1High 19-Jan-24  732 Description of story
Subtask2121456Subtask 1.2 19-Jan-24  732 Description of subtask
Subtask3121456Subtask 1.33 19-Jan-24  732 Description of subtask
Story121457 Story 4Highest 19-Jan-24  732 Description of story
Subtask5121457Subtask 4.5 19-Jan-24  732 Description of subtask
Subtask6121457Subtask4.6 19-Jan-24  732 

Description of subtask

Tried without the stories actually in the import file. This "worked".

Subtask2121456Subtask 1.2 19-Jan-24  732 Description of subtask
Subtask3121456Subtask 1.33 19-Jan-24  732 Description of subtask
Subtask5121457Subtask 4.5 19-Jan-24  732 Description of subtask
Subtask6121457Subtask4.6 19-Jan-24  732 Description of subtask
Subtask8121458Subtask 7.8 19-Jan-24  732 Description of subtask

This "worked" but now something that I could do all in one file I have to do separately.  Create the stories/tasks.  Run a report to get the actual Issue-ID number, put that number for all the specific subtasks, AND remove the stories.  

Is there a way to do all this in one CSV anymore (like before, understanding the # per CSV limit)?

I am importing over 2000 subtasks over 15-20 stories/tasks each month, so this is going to be EXTREMELY cumbersome.

Like Holmes, Ben likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2024

@Brian Franklin 

Given that the original poster already accepted an Answer for their post, please start a new Question in the forum. You can include in it a link to this post if your think this post is relevant.

In your new Question in addition to the information you provided above, please tell us the Type of project into which you are trying to import data - Software, Business/Work Management, or Service Management, and Team Managed or Company Managed. Also show us the field mappings screen you are using when you import the issues.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events