Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Due tasks disappearing from summary

Fabian Pontén Söderlind July 11, 2022

The "Due in the next 7 days" box on the Summary page of the "Work Management" template doesn't include issues that are "past due", so if an issue is not completed on time, it will simply disappear, which makes it extremely easy to miss it: https://prnt.sc/KZPfTJNtMUQO

Does anyone know if I can set this up myself?

Otherwise, I would suggest to Jira team that this box includes both "Due in 7 days" and "PAST DUE".

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Fabian

3 answers

0 votes
Loretta Brunette
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 12, 2022

Hi Fabian,

Thanks for your feedback. The behaviour you described is actually by design and not a bug. We have taken the view here that tasks that are overdue are not necessarily due in the next 7 days and that we may cause confusion by adding these into the count.

In addition to Andy's suggestions above, although there is no preset "overdue" filter, you can still see issues that are past their due date on the other JWM views such as calendar and list views (the due date will appear red if missed). 

@Andy Heinzer - thanks for raising JWMCLOUD-268, the team and I will monitor it for activity. 

Fabian Pontén Söderlind July 17, 2022

Hello Loretta!

Thanks for your reply. In the list view it won't show any of the subtasks that are overdue so this is not an ideal view, extremely difficult to see what is missed which is fairly dangerous that many tasks can easily slip through the tracks over the weekend for example. If anything was due on the Friday, at the beginning of the week there is no reminder that these tasks still need to be one.

I understand you've done this by design but this is not an optimized solution for what users actually want to see. Any other project planning software I've tried will include the past due to the due tasks as well.

If you do not want to include the past due here, I would suggest to put it somewhere else that can easily be found, because these are the MOST important tasks that have not been completed on time, and as of now there is no clear way to find them at all. You need to go through all your tasks and subtasks manually to see if something is missed.

Hope you take my feedback into consideration because this is a must have for us.

Best regards,

Fabian 

Loretta Brunette
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 17, 2022

we will take the feedback into consideration @fab , thank you for sharing. 

Can i just clarify your comment on not seeing overdue subtasks in the list view. You should still be able to see overdue subtasks as well as other issue types

Hello Loretta!

Thank you. If I go to the List view and filter by "Due Date", it filters the main tasks but not the subtasks. To see the subtasks, I need to "Expand" each of the main tasks, and then I can see that there are indeed subtasks in there that are already past due, but they are not filtered as being on top. They're hidden away from the user's view and are increasingly difficult to find as more tasks are added.

Please see attached screenshot of this issue.

Thanks!

Screenshot at Jul 18 08-42-00.png

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
July 12, 2022

Hi @Fabian Pontén Söderlind 

I understand that you want to be able to see the issues that are past their due date on this summary page for a Jira Work Management project.  Unfortunately, the Due card on that page is designed to only show you issues due between today and 1 week into the future. Hence the issues falling off after today's due date appears to be working as designed.  That said I can certainly understand why you would want to see these issues. The JQL of the current Due filter is querying like so:

statusCategory!=Done AND (duedate >= 0d AND duedate < 1w)

There is no way currently to change or configuring the links on that summary page.  So i created a feature request for this over in JWMCLOUD-268.  That request is seeking to add a "Past Due" card that can show you issues beyond their due dates that are not in a done status type.

That said, you should still be able to find these issues, you would just need to apply a different filter here.  The Lists view and the Summary pages won't really be helpful for finding these right now. Instead try going to the Issues link on the left navigation menu.  From there you can search a JQL such as

project = ABCD and statusCategory!=done and duedate <= -1d ORDER BY created DESC

In this example, my project key is ABCD.  This can at least help you find these past due items right now.  I recommend watching that feature request for updates. 

I hope this helps.

Andy

Hello Andy! Thanks for your response.

I appreciate your workaround but this is not gonna be a good enough experience for our team I'm afraid. Since the DUE TASKS are of the highest importance of any tasks, they need to be easily accessible, and in any/most other project planning platforms these will be included first in the "DUE in X days" for that reason. For example, if anything was due on Friday the week before, at the beginning of the week there is no reminder that these tasks still need to be done and are dangerously easy to miss.

I understand you've done this by design but this is not an optimized solution for what users actually want to see. 

If you do not want to include the past due here, I would suggest putting it somewhere else that can easily be found, because these are the MOST important tasks that have not been completed on time, and as of now, there is no clear/easy way to find them at all.

Hope you take my feedback into consideration because this is a must-have for us.

Best regards,

Fabian 

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2022

Hey Fabian,

That sounds like a bug to me. I will see if someone from Atlassian can take a look since you are on a Free plan. Post back here if you haven't heard anything in a day or two. 

Thanks John! Yes, this is not how any/most other project planning platforms will work. The PAST DUE tasks are of the highest importance and will be included in any "due in X days filter". 

Best regards,

Fabian 

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders