Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customize key value for subtask

Jithesh February 5, 2022

Hi Team,

When I create an Task or a subtask, system automatically assign a Key.

for instance if my Project code is "ABC" then Key will be ABC-22 or ABC-34 etc.

I would like to know if i can customize they way key is generate for the subtaks.

Like if the Key for Task is ABC-34 then any subtask under the issue ABC-34 to be numbered as ABC-34-1 or ABC-34-a etc

This will visually help everyone in the team, to easily related to which Task the SubTask belongs to.

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2022

Hi @Jithesh ,

keys are automatically managed by Jira based an internal counter (stored for each project into the database) and you're not able to update it in any way.

Fabio

Jithesh February 7, 2022
0 votes
Answer accepted
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2022

Hi @Jithesh ,

Thats not possible, the issue ids are always counted continuously. 

Jithesh February 7, 2022

Thanks @Bastian Stehmann 

0 votes
Tony Hungate
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 4, 2024

I understand this is how the software currently works, however, I completely understand the use case presented and have had very similar situations where this would come in very useful. 

How are feature requests submitted for JIRA? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2024

You can go to https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/CreateIssue!default.jspa

But in this case, I would not bother.

Atlassian are not going to spend years rewriting Jira to support a different way of keying sub-tasks, as there's no benefit in doing it.  They'd also have to impose that change on their partners who have written apps for Jira. 

The main reason for wanting this to make it a bit more obvious that the sub-task is part of a bigger issue.  Jira already displays the parent key in most places where the information that "this issue is part of that one" is useful, and they're improving on that.  They're also moving to make nesting issues more clear with only one place to look at the relationship (rather than the current three different Initiative contains Epic, Epic contains Issue, Issue is split into sub-tasks)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events