Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating subtask in different project

Lex Dernison May 3, 2023

Good day all,

I'm really hoping someone could assist me with below or point me to where I can learn on how to do this. I'm really having a hard time understanding Jira.

So my scenario:

We have three projects:
Project 1: management
Project 2: member group 1
Project 3: member group 2

I'm in Project 1 and I get a task assigned, for example: "Send inventory" 
I want to create a subtask that I can assign to all members in project 2 and project 3. 

At this point when I'm creating a subtask of my task, I cannot change the project as the dropdown menu is grayed out. Secondly when I'm looking at assignee, I can see users of project 2/3 but I can only select one at the time.

2 answers

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2023

Hello @Lex Dernison 

Welcome to the community!

Just to be clear, Jira does not allow a subtask and its parent issue to be in different projects. So you can't make a subtask for your issue in Project1 and have the subtask actually exist in Project2 (or any project other than Project1).

xenangonline May 4, 2023

Yes. yes!

Lex Dernison May 4, 2023

Good day Trudy,

Thank you also for your reply! Maybe I just need to try to achieve my goals differently.

Rather than a subtask, I should just create 16 tasks on the project2 board each to one of  the members? 

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2023

Hi @Lex Dernison , welcome to the community.

Do you want to do this automatically or do you want to do it manually? When you say you want to create a subtask do you want to create a subtask in the Send inventory issue in project 1 or are you creating a subtask for an issue in project 2 and project 3? Please note that you cannot assign a single issue too multiple users. They assign he is meant to be a single user. There are ways to work around this though, such as a custom field that identifies a team.

Lex Dernison May 3, 2023

Good day Jack,

Thank you so much for your reply! Automatically would be amazing because it would be around 16 users each time but for now I'll even be happy to do it manual.

Scenario:
My manager is in Project1 with me, she assigns me a task to collect data. Now I have 16 users that I need to send the data to me. I used to just send an email to all 16 but now we have started using Jira.

The original task is assigned to me in Project1, now want to make subtasks for those 16 people where 10 of them are in Project2 and 6 of them are in Project3

I guess I would like the subtasks to be located in Project2/Project3 while the original task that was assigned to me stays in Project1? 

This way I can view from my task in project1 when everyone has completed their subtask? 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2023

Thanks for the additional info. Here is what I suggest, example below...

shot1.jpgshot2.jpg

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2023

Please note that the above needs to be a Global rule. If you were on the Standard tier then you will be limited on how many executions are allowed monthly for global rules. If that is a problem, the other option is to simply use project 1 and make it a single project rule which is unlimited.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2023

Oh and one other note. You could also make this a manual rule that you execute on a specific task. The advantage of this is that you don't have to worry about the conditions as you will simply execute as desired. In this scenario you would simply create the single task in project 2 or project 3 and then manually run the rule to create the subtasks under that newly created task.

Lex Dernison May 4, 2023

Thank you Jack for your time and effort in assisting me. I will try to understand the automation part of Jira more and see if I can complete what I need.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2023

Glad to assist. Please feel free to reach out with questions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events