Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating an Automation for Incrementing 'Numerical Number' Field in Jira Cloud

mustafa.erol July 4, 2023

I have created a workflow in Jira named "Document." Additionally, I have created a custom filed as "Numerical Number." I am attempting to set up an automation where the "Numerical Number" field starts with an initial value of 10029. This field is intended to function as a counter. Whenever a new document issue is created, the "Numerical Number" field should increase by 1 and become 10030. It should then continue incrementing as 10031, 10032, and so on. Please provide the simplest method to achieve this in Jira Cloud.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 4, 2023

Hi @mustafa.erol

The only suggestion I have for you is to have another Dummy Jira Ticket that holds the current count in a custom field.  Then every ticket that gets created will refer to the Dummy ticket and get the next number and overwrites it with Jira Automation.  

Unfortunately, jira doesn't hold a global value that can be stored somewhere else, unless you are willing to purchase 3rd party scripting add-ons.  

I hope this helps.

mustafa.erol July 5, 2023

Thank you for your response. I attempted to implement the ticket solution you suggested. Accordingly, I created a new issue type specifically for this purpose. However, I encountered a challenge while trying to create an action that would depend on the issue ticket. My goal is to update the "Document Number" custom field within the dummy issue with the key PT-196 whenever a document issue is created or edited. Is there a way to reference this custom field within the automation configuration? I apologize if this is a simple matter, but I have been unable to find a solution thus far.

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2023

You can use the look up issue actions and see if you can extract and edit the dummy ticket.

Another way to do it, would be to use a scripting plugin such as powerscripts or scriptrunner and get the the dummy ticket info easier since it will be hardcoded.  

mustafa.erol July 10, 2023

Thank you for your help. Instead of using the dummy ticket option, I have decided to use the issue key itself, which is much simpler. I will leverage the issue key to track the numerical value directly. Thank you once again for your suggestions.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events