Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create another sub task under the Sub Task

ks.hyeon October 29, 2023

In JIRA Work Management, i can create a Sub Task under Task as follows. But can't I create another sub task under the Sub Task? If I can, what should I do?

image.png

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Joel Garner October 29, 2023

You cannot create a Sub-task under a Sub-task, however, if you add "Epics" to your Issue Types for the project, you can create a Sub-task under a Task under an Epic.
image.pngimage.png

Thank you. Another thing I'm curious about is, is it not possible to add more sub tasks after creating them with Epic?

You can add as many Sub-tasks as you need, but they will all fall under a Task.

Epic -> Task -> Sub-task
                         Sub-task
                         Sub-task

image.png

You cannot do Epic -> Task -> Sub-task -> Sub-task

(If you hover over the Task, the + symbol will appear)

Like ks.hyeon likes this

Thank you so much.

Lastly, what I was curious about is the lower level Sub Task as shown below.

image.png

Sorry for any confusion. All the Sub-tasks will be on the same level. A sub-task cannot have a work item below it.

Like ks.hyeon likes this

Yes, I see. I understand. Thank you for your support.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 31, 2023

Hi @ks.hyeon

just to add to Joel's great answer: The only way to model something hierarchy levels below sub-tasks in Jira is through issue links. You can create any issue link between any two issues, so you can always do e.g. a is parent of / is child of issue link between one sub-task and another. 

The problem is that Jira doesn't naturally understand such issue link as a hierarchy level, so you won't see them nested in e.g. Jira Work Management's list view. There are, however, Marketplace apps that can help with this. E.g., my team and I work on an app named JXL for Jira in which you can configure custom issue hierarchies, based on Jira's built-in parent/child relationships, and/or based on issue links. This is how it looks in action:

sub-sub-tasks.gif

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes 

ks.hyeon October 31, 2023

That's great,

i will try to apply it.

JayDee
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 24, 2024

How to parent two sub-tasks ? I can only parent from sub to Task or Story and from Task to Epic.

so @Joel Garner is completely right .

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events