Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create and assign an issue to users in a list

Donald Wood August 31, 2022

I'm building a project where an issue has a "People" field containing a list of users.  When the issue is saved I want to use Automation to create an issue for each user in the list in a separate project. 

Think an "Audience" field in Project A, each user in the Audience becomes an Assignee for a new issue in Project B.

Alternatively, if I can automate adding a name to the Audience field every time I change the Assignee I can probably make that work, as it's simple enough to create new issues and copy down the Assignee.  I've tried this using the "Edit Issue" action, but for some blasted reason I can't select People fields in the Edit Issue action's dialog.  I'm trying to figure out the syntax for using Smart Values to do this, without much luck.

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2023

Hi @Donald Wood 

Are you still looking for a solution to this query?

If yes, the first rule might be quite complex to create - but the second should be possible.

---

I assume as you mention the "People" field you're using a Team-managed Project? It seems this field is not available to be set at present using simple edit functions. You can either...

1. Move to a Company-managed Project type, where this rule can be built easily
  2. Utilise JSON to add Assignees to the Audience field (i.e Advanced Editing)

Is moving to a Company-managed Project an option?

Ste

Donald Wood January 19, 2023

Thanks for getting back to me.

Company-managed was not an option, I'm working with a very small organization low on Jira expertise.

After scouring the Community I ran across a method I was able to adapt for my situation.

1. I used Advanced Branching to create a smart value for my "Audience" field.

2. Then, when I used the "Create Issue" to create the issues in the 2nd project I set the "Assignee" field to the smart value.  Worked like a charm, now everyone in project A's Audience field gets their own issue to nag them in Project B, just like I wanted.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2023

Awesome, glad you found a solution that works for your scenario :)

Ste

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events