Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you use Work Management as Ticketing System for Help Desk

Pamela Rice September 8, 2021

Our service desk currently has Jira Work Management but we wanted to know when creating issues if a ticket number could be generated? If not, is there an add on app that we can use for actual ticketing within Work Management or would we have to get Service Management as well?

5 answers

2 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2021

Hi @Pamela Rice ,

When creating new tickets within JWM, you have a unique issue key, which correspond to that issue. I don't know if that's what you wanted to know, but other than that, what @Dirk Ronsmans told you stands true.

2 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2021

Hey @Pamela Rice and welcome to the community!

My suggestion would indeed to be look towards Jira Service Management. I fear that otherwise you'll start looking at more and more apps to get the features that you would need to run a succesfull servicedesk.

Things like:

• Queues
  • SLA's
  • Customer/Internal comment separation
  • A self service portal
  • Service Registry

I'm a strong believer in using the tool that was created for it and not try and make the tool you have fit your needs.

Both JWM and JSM are excellent tools but were created for different purposes. 

Sara Palmitessa January 8, 2023

Hi @Dirk Ronsmans , @John Funk , & @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ How do you pull the JSM tickets into JWM? I have JWM set up and am working on customizing tickets in JSM.  I just do not know how to pull the tickets into my JWM instance after a requester fills out a ticket.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2023

Hi @Sara Palmitessa ,

You'll most likely use an automation to push the tickets from JSM to JWM. and create a linked issue.

What your criteria would be to push them is up to you of course.

If you don't want to automate things, you'll have to create linked issue manually.

Sara Palmitessa January 9, 2023

Hi @Dirk Ronsmans - I was trying to figure out how to automate them, but I couldn't figure that part out either.  In Request types, I created my own (see image)

request types.PNG Then when I went to Automate, I could not find a way to have the new issue be created if one of these request types was chosen.  Is it there and I am missing it?

Also, do I duplicate the issue and put the duplication in my Digital Marketing Project (where JWM project is) - ideally, I do not want to duplicate it, because I do not need for it to live in JSM - only JWM.  Is that possible? I have already setup JWM exactly the way I want it - I have used it in the past.  I just didn't know how to do the JSM and went about that second so i am not sure if I created it in the wrong order.  A lot of my screens are copied from my JWM instance and renamed so most things that carry over will already have a 1:1.  

I have created a form in JSM that I figured out how to attach to each of my tasks.  How will that be carried over into JWM? 

Sorry - I have so many questions!!

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 15, 2021

Hi Pamela,

It depends on the complexity of the projects/help desk you want to setup. JWM can work well for very focused tasks with little need to customize. Otherwise JSM would be the route to go. 

0 votes
Pamela Rice September 8, 2021

Thank you all for your response! 

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 8, 2021

Pamela kind accept the answer which suits your needs, in order to help other people in this community to find the right answers. :)

0 votes
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 8, 2021

IMO, Jira Service Management has features that are better suited for a Help Desk.  You don't consume licenses to create tickets through a self-service portal.  Tickets are organized in queues where you can view whether the tickets are meeting SLAs.

As far as a specific ticket number, most people use the Jira issue number.

Hope this helps.

Sara Palmitessa January 9, 2023

Hi Robert - that is why I chose JSM to set up my tickets.  I just do not know how to integrate it into my project management setup in JWM.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events