Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the automation be done to shift the dates of next task based on current task?

Kartavya Nahar August 4, 2022

For e.g.
If there are 2 tasks A and B. Task B is dependent on Task A. If I shift the timelines of Task A, can the timelines of task B be shifted automatically?

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2022

Hi Kartavya - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, this can be done with an automation rule. You would create a Field Value Changed trigger for the rule, then add a condition for whatever is linking the two issues so it knows which one to update. 

Finally add a new action for Edit Issue and choose the same field that you chose in the trigger step. 

Then paste this in the value. {{triggerissue.duedate}} 

That assumes that the due date changed in the original issue. Change out the field name if that is different. 

Emma Hecht August 29, 2022

Hi, @John Funk! Would you be able to post a screenshot of how to do this?

I'm in Work Management. When I create an issue, I'm automating 3 subtasks (ie — draft, review, revise) with due dates 5, 10, and 15 business days out ({{now.plusBusinessDays(5)}}, etc). I'm also auto-linking them by automating a link to the previously created task. If I push the due date of "review" to the next day, will the automation you're talking about here push the subsequent child issue "revise" by a day as well?

** This is a test for a bigger project, just trying to lay the groundwork! 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2022

Hey Emma,

I think I would create the automation rule first for the creating the subtasks based on what you have above and in my screenshot below.

Then I would do another rule based on the Draft issue's due date getting updated that it updates the other two. 

Screenshot.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2022

The code for the Due Date of the Review would then be:

{{triggerissue.duedate.plusBusinessDays(5)}}

Emma Hecht August 30, 2022

If I had a sequence like the below and changed the due date of the first subtask ("draft") by 1 day, how would that look? Would you be able to post a screenshot with the triggerissue.duedate code?

draft: due 5 business days from parent issue creation (with changed due date, 6 days)

revise: due 8 business days from parent issue creation (with changed date, 9 days)

review: due 17 business days from parent issue creation (with changed date, 18 days)

New to Jira, so this is very helpful! Thanks so much!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 3, 2022

Sorry, I thought I commented earlier, but it doesn't look like it got saved/posted.

I would create separate rules for each of those based on the the due date change as the trigger and then a condition identifying whether it is Draft, Revise, or Review. 

But you will need to have these linked in some way to be able to tell which issue to update. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events