Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I set up a multiple issue hierarchy on Jira Work Management?

HANUI KIM January 18, 2022

I'd like to configure the issue types of my project as EPIC>Task>Sub-task. (i.e. 3 layers)

But it seems it only allows me to set up EPIC=Task > Sub-task (i.e. 2 layers).

As an administrator, can I configure different types of issue layers (or hierarchy) on Jira work management?

Many thanks in advance.

4 answers

1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2022

Hi @HANUI KIM 

As mentioned, it's possible to change Work Management Issue Types.

Work Management Projects can be Team-managed or Company-managed - and there are different instructions to follow for each.

Team-managed:

1. From your Project's left-hand menu, select Project Settings
  2. Select Issue Types from the new left-hand menu
  3. Press + Add issue type
  4. Epic should be one of the options you can choose from the suggested list - and press Add

Company-managed:

1. From your Project's left-hand menu, select Project Settings
  2. Select Issue Types from the new left-hand menu
  3. In the top-right, select Actions > Edit Issue Types
  4. Drag relevant Issue Types from the right-hand column to the left-hand - then press Save

Note: 

• For Company-managed, ensure your Issue Type Scheme isn't being used by other Projects. If it is, it might be better to create a new one just for your Project.
  • You can add a new Issue Type Scheme as a Jira Admin via Admin Settings > Issues > Issue Type Schemes

If you're going into further levels of hierarchy, there are platform-wide settings you can utilise from a Premium/Enterprise Cloud plan - see this support page here.

Ste

1 vote
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2022

You can @HANUI KIM 
I'm guessing you have used a JWM template and that template has only loaded the 2 levels and issue types (Task and Sub-task).
Because JWM projects are Company Managed projects (under the hood) you can add the Epic issue type into issue type scheme...or reuse an existing scheme that suits.

You will likely need to edit screens/fields schemes to accommodate the additional issue type/s. 

Put simply, you can adjust in the same way you would a Jira software (company managed) project. 

Camp Bursztynowy Las October 21, 2022

@Curt Holley - I am having issues with how this type of hierarchy is displayed on the list or board view. Jira seems to loose the Epic/Task relationship and show epics above and stories below after you refresh the screen the issues are still properly linked, just not shown correctly.
Have you come across this issue? Do you know if there's a solve for this on a free plan?before screen refresh.pngafter screen refresh.png

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2022

Yes you should be able to add issue types to meet your needs. Project settings > issue types , actions and edit.

0 votes
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2022

Hi @HANUI KIM 

The heirarchy from Epic to a task can be managed via Epic links

And from task to a sub-task is via child issues

If you still need more than this, you could use issue linking feature to define relationship and have the hierarchy

Checkout this article for more info

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Agile-articles/Best-Practices-Thoughts-on-Issue-Hierarchy-in-Jira-Software/ba-p/653581

If you are on premium I suggest you check advanced roadmaps for more customisation 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/advancedroadmapsserver0329/configuring-initiatives-and-other-hierarchy-levels-1021218664.html

Thanks,

Pramodh

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events