Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I save the customized a Jira project board and save as a template?

Nico Chen November 3, 2023

I often find myself performing repetitive tasks when creating and setting up a new project board, like configuring privacy settings and defining issue types. This repetitive process got me thinking, is it possible to create a personalized Jira board with all the required settings and save it as a template? That way, in the future, I could simply 'create a project' and select my saved template to expedite the setup process.

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2023

Hello @Nico Chen 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

You have posted your question in the Jira Work Management community. Is this question specifically about Jira Work Management type of projects?

With Jira native functionality it is not possible to customize the template of the board that is created by default when a project is created.

For Company Managed Software projects you can create a Copy of an existing board, configured as you wish, and update the board to use a filter that references a different project, and change the Location of the board to that project. In that manner you can have a "template" for a board. That is not an option with Work Management projects, nor with Team Managed projects.

However, with Company Managed projects it is possible for projects to share configuration settings, like Issue Type Scheme, Workflow Scheme, Field Configuration Scheme. If you want to share those types of configurations between projects you can create a project with those configurations set as you want. You can then use that project as a "template" of sorts. When you create a new project you elect to Share Settings With An Existing Project.

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 10.12.54 AM.png

The new project will be created to reference the same configuration Schemes as the project you specify.

If you make changes to those Schemes in the future, it will affect all projects that reference them.

Note that those configuration Schemes don't include the configuration of the board.

And, you cannot share configurations between Team Managed projects.

Nico Chen November 7, 2023

Hi Trudy,

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

I am seeking a solution related to "Team Managed Projects". Specifically, I would like to create a custom issue type named "Support Ticket" as the example. I intend to apply this customized issue type setting to all "Team Managed Projects" when opening a new client project. As these "Team Managed Projects" are shared with our clients, I plan to provide limited access. This leads me to my concern that I may not be able to create them as "Company Managed Projects". I'm curious if this is a feasible approach.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2023

It is not possible to share configurations between Team Managed projects with native functionality. The use case for Team Managed projects is specifically for them to be stand alone, with each one being customized independently of the others. I haven't investigated if any third party apps are able to clone Team Managed projects.

If you're able to share your TM projects with clients you should be able to share your CM projects with clients also, though the steps to managed permissions are different.

Like Nico Chen likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Luka Hummel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 7, 2023

Hi @Nico Chen and welcome to the community!

Your idea of having a template to create new projects is spot-on, and I have good news for you: Deep Clone for Jira can help with exactly that!

Deep Clone for Jira allows you to clone not just issues but entire projects including all of their configurations with Project Clone. Here's how it can streamline your project creation process:

1. Project Templates: You can set up a project with all your desired configurations, just the way you want them. This project will act as your template.

2. Cloning Projects: When you need to create a new project, you can use Deep Clone for Jira to clone your template project. This will copy all the configurations and settings, eliminating the need to set them up manually each time.

If you have any more questions or require further information on how to best use Deep Clone for your specific needs, don't hesitate to reach out.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events