Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Can I close a Board or do I have to delete it?

Once I have finished with a board, can I simply close it, or do I have to delete the board? 

I would like to have access to the reports from each completed board. 

Thanks 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Welcome to the community.

Boards in Jira are just different ways of viewing the tickets. You can't close a board when you're done with it, so you'd have to delete it. However deleting the board will get rid of the access to the built in reports for that board.

Normally, when I'm done with boards I tend to leave them there or delete them as I don't personally use the built in reports. Many reports in Jira can be created using filters and JQL queries in the search. 

If you want to get rid of a board you'll have to delete it. 

However, something I have noticed a lot while supporting Jira is that sometimes people call the Jira projects themselves "boards", so just in case that is your situation. I would advise against deleting a Jira project unless you are 1000000% sure you're done with it. I would either change the permission scheme to be read only for your Jira admins and no one else having access to it, or archive the project. This way you can still access it if you need it for reports or looking up history on a specific ticket down the road. 

I hope this helps.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Work Management

Join us for a live demo of Jira Work Management

Interested in learning more about Jira Work Management? Have questions you want to get answered? Join us for our upcoming live demo where we’ll take you through the essentials of Jira Work Manageme...

1,735 views 4 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you