Can I close a Board or do I have to delete it?

Chloe Evans April 7, 2022

Once I have finished with a board, can I simply close it, or do I have to delete the board? 

I would like to have access to the reports from each completed board. 

Thanks 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Heather Ronnebeck
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2022

Welcome to the community.

Boards in Jira are just different ways of viewing the tickets. You can't close a board when you're done with it, so you'd have to delete it. However deleting the board will get rid of the access to the built in reports for that board.

Normally, when I'm done with boards I tend to leave them there or delete them as I don't personally use the built in reports. Many reports in Jira can be created using filters and JQL queries in the search. 

If you want to get rid of a board you'll have to delete it. 

However, something I have noticed a lot while supporting Jira is that sometimes people call the Jira projects themselves "boards", so just in case that is your situation. I would advise against deleting a Jira project unless you are 1000000% sure you're done with it. I would either change the permission scheme to be read only for your Jira admins and no one else having access to it, or archive the project. This way you can still access it if you need it for reports or looking up history on a specific ticket down the road. 

I hope this helps.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events