Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I add child/parent issues to custom issue types in Jira Work Management?

Derek Boehringer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 4, 2023

I've created a custom issue type ("Initiative") for my Jira Work Management project. When I open that new initiative issue it does not look like I can add child or parent issues. When I go to `Project settings > Issue types > Initiatives > Fields`, child and parent links are not available to add to the issue type. Is there a way to add these fields?

4 answers

1 vote
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 5, 2023

Hi @Derek Boehringer

when you say initiative, would you expect initiatives to be "above" the epic issue type?

Thanks,

Hannes

Derek Boehringer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 5, 2023

Hello @Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira

Yes, I was hoping to leverage the "initiative" type to manage related epics (possibly from other projects). 

Best, 

Derek

0 votes
Izzy Findlay
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 22, 2024

If I create a new issue called 'Initiative', can I use it instead of 'Epic', to use it in exactly the same way as an Epic? I want to change the name to make more sense to my team who are not familiar with the language 'Epic'. 

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 10, 2023

Hi @Derek Boehringer,

so sorry for the late reply, this somehow slipped through!

(Also cc @Kemuel Jacob

JWM doesn't currently support hierarchy levels above epic; natively, this is only available in Jira Software Premium, through Advanced Roadmaps.

However, if you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, you may want to have a look at the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. In a sense, it has a few things in common with JWM's list view, however JXL comes with a range of advanced features, and also works in (and across!) projects of any type, not just JWM projects. Plus, it is capable of showing any number of hierarchy levels, like so:

5-level-hierarchy.gif

You can model issue hierarchies based on Jira's built-in parent/child relationships (like epic/story, or story/sub-task - or anything you configured in Advanced Roadmaps, if you have it enabled), and/or based on issue links. This also plays nicely with JXL's other advanced features, such as support for bulk editing via copy/paste, sum-ups, or conditional formatting.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

0 votes
Mohanraj Thangamuthu
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 4, 2023

Hello, Good day. Kindly let me know if your query is related to the feature requested on : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JWMCLOUD-30

Kemuel Jacob
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 9, 2023

Hi @Mohanraj Thangamuthu, I don't believe it is. I have the same need. We need an issue type above the epic level to manage epics. 

Mohanraj Thangamuthu
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2023

Hello, We can create an issue type above Epic. This option is available in the Premium software version. Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 11.32.30 AM.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events