Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I add a custom field to the list view?

samantha_sharkov March 19, 2023

My team would like to have a custom field named "Status details" with a short description of where things are in the task. I.e. Status "In progress", Status Details "preparing labels". I added the custom field to the tasks. However, the list view doesn't allow me to add it to the view columns. Is there a way to make it work? 

jira 1.jpgjira 2.jpg

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2023

Hi Samantha,

What type of field is the custom field? It sounds like it might be a Paragraph (multi-line text) field, which currently cannot be added to the List view. 

samantha_sharkov March 20, 2023

Hi John! Thank you for looking into it. I tried paragraph and I tried short text. No luck.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2023

Right. You should vote for an follow this feature request:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JWMCLOUD-192

samantha_sharkov March 22, 2023

thank you, John!

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2023

You are welcome!

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 20, 2023

Hi @samantha_sharkov

I agree with John that the particular custom field type is likely not (yet) supported in the list view; see this page for reference.

For an immediate solution, you could create a filter that covers the issues of your project. In this filter, you should be able to add your fields as columns.

Alternatively, if you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, you may want to check out the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields - including any custom fields - much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. In a sense, JXL has a few things in common with the list view; however, JXL comes with heaps of advanced features (such as support for configurable issue hierarchies, sum ups, or conditional formatting), plus it works in - and across! - projects of all types (not just Jira Work Management). This is how it looks in action:

jxl-basics.gif

JXL integrates into the project sidebar (or top-bar, in Jira Work Management) - making it easily discoverable to all team members - and many of our customers successfully use it as an extension to Jira's built-in list and table views.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events