Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Add milestiones in the Timeline or List View?

Marco Rodrigues July 26, 2021

As a PM I want to define a specific issue type (e.g Story ) as a milestone, so that I can follow the major achievements during a project. How can I apply that in the list view and timeline view? 

8 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2021

Hi Marco,

So is your question how to add an Issue Type to the project? 

Hi John, 

My question is how to add milestones in a project. Can you help me with that?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2021

That depends on what you mean by milestones. That is not a built in function of the projects. How would you expect this to function? 

From my perspective I was hoping to define a specific completed task as a Milestone. Is that possible in the Timeline View?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2021

I would create an issue type called Milestone and use that. 

Like Curt Holley likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2021

Based on what I'm reading here, what you want is what @John Funk alluded to in his opening question.

You should create (or arrange to have created by your Admin) an issues type called Milestone. Then you will be able to view it in any view of the JWM or Jira Software project it is added to.

In JWM, it will have to have the same workflow as everything else,

You would be able to filter your Timeline view by Issue type = Milestone to only see the Milestones etc...

2 votes
Nataliya Vasyliv_Reliex_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 19, 2021

Hi @Marco Rodrigues

to find a specific completed task as a Milestone you can try Activitytimeline add-on. There you can add Milestone to a timeline and use for all or for one specific project. 2021-10-19_19h37_19.png

1 vote
J Conners October 3, 2023

If Jira Work Management is meant to be a lightweight project management tool, it seems odd that milestones wouldn't be available as an issue type out of the box.

1 vote
Jane Yeoh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 12, 2022

Hi @Marco Rodrigues

I’m Jane, one of the Product Managers on the Jira Work Management team. We’re looking to explore Milestones in Jira Work Management and we’d love to hear your feedback on some of our design concepts.

If you’re interested, please feel free to book in a session with me in my calendar where we will be sharing prototypes for this concept: https://calendly.com/jyeoh/45min and getting a better understanding of your needs as well. 

Looking forward to chatting,

Jane

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2022

Hey Jane - did you get some good feedback? 

Jane Yeoh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 15, 2022

Hey @John Funk ,

We're still running these this week, but we've gotten good feedback so far, thanks for asking!

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2022

Great!

Valerie Blondel February 1, 2024

Hi @Jane Yeoh 

I just found this post about your exploring Milestones in Jira Work Management.  Would you mind advising if any progress ?  We wish we had the possibility to use those in the Timeline view.  Thanks beforehand, Valérie

Like Hugo Hermans likes this
Jess Sherrington
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 29, 2024

eager to see progress also!

Like # people like this
0 votes
Bryant Eadon March 27, 2024

I think the best way to track a milestone is by selectign an EPIC and using this as the milestone.  Or, Version.

This avoids adding additional junk to JIRA.  

Additionally, advanced JIRA features add higher level concepts to which I believe may have higher-level cross-project tracking you might want.

0 votes
Adam _SoftwarePlant_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 21, 2021

Hello @Marco Rodrigues 

Taking into consideration your requirements, I believe that you may want to give some of the apps from the Atlassian marketplace a try - like BigPicture/BigGantt for example, developed by Softwareplant (A company I am also a part of). Those will help you organize your work better, manage your work across multiple Jira projects on one screen, and also use the mentioned Milestones functionality so that you can easily track those important moments in your project:

Gantt module.png

milestones.png

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Adam

0 votes
Maria
Marketplace Partner
September 20, 2021

Hi @Marco Rodrigues 
Just in case you're open to trying add-ons, on behalf of the Planyway team I'd like to recommend Planyway. You can add Milestones to your projects and see them across multiple projects on one timeline in Planyway. If any questions, I'm here to help.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events