Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulk Cloning Jira Issues, but need to keep same Issue Key

Theresa Gothard January 30, 2023

Hello!  I'm maybe not going about this the correct way, so please let me know if there is a more efficient way to do this.  

We currently have a team-managed project that I'd like to move over to a company managed project.  I have set up the new project and would like to clone all the issues into the new project.  However, I need to keep the Issue keys the same (the letters can be different, but the numbers need to be the same).  In my research, I have not seen a solution to this, so maybe it's not possible?  

Or should I be going about this differently?

Thank you!

Theresa

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2023

The only way to do this would be to create the issues in a strict order.

Imagine you've got 

• ABC-12
  • ABC-16
  • ABC-18 

That you want to clone and move into a project currently having the last issue as XYZ-10.  You will need to

• Create XYZ-11 (and delete it if you don't need it)
  • Clone ABC-12 and move the issue into XYZ
  • Create XYZ-13 (and delete it if you don't need it)
  • Create XYZ-14 (and delete it if you don't need it)
  • Create XYZ-15 (and delete it if you don't need it)
  • Clone ABC-16 and move the issue into XYZ
  • Create XYZ-17 (and delete it if you don't need it)
  • Clone ABC-18 and move the issue into XYZ

This effectively makes the target project pretty much useless.

So, I have to ask - why are you wanting to do this?

Theresa Gothard January 31, 2023

Thanks - I need to move to the company managed project because there is functionality that I'm looking for that is not available in the team managed project.  Unfortunately, my QA team is very familiar with the specific issue keys and really need to keep them the same when we move over.

Vish Reddy _Revyz_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2023

Hi @Theresa Gothard 

We are building a solution to help you move your Team Managed projects to Company Managed projects in an easy way while keeping your KEY the same. Happy to run you through in more detail what we are building if interested.

Thank you

Vish

Theresa Gothard February 1, 2023

Hi @Vish Reddy _Revyz_ ,

Yes I would be interested to see what you've come up with.

Thanks,

Theresa

Like Vish Reddy _Revyz_ likes this
Vish Reddy _Revyz_
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2023

Hi @Theresa Gothard 

I could be reached out vish@revyz.io, i will share my calendar once I hear from you.

Looking forward to our meeting.

Thank you

Vish

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events