Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice using a task or a task with subtasks

Benny April 12, 2023

I have a process, lets say it is a prospecting process.

The prospecting process flow in order sequence:

1. gathering requirement
  2. creating proposal
  3. proposal presentation
  4. po received, preparing contract
  5. deal and closed.

Assume that only one person is enough to handle one prospecting process.

I am thinking of two approaches in setting up the Jira:

1. use 1 issue task only and the steps are configured as statuses (create a complete workflow for the task)
  2. use 1 task and 5 subtasks represent the steps (simple workflow for each task and subtask).

I understand that the second approach require more administration work. The first approach is obviously much simple compare with second approach.

But what is the best practice for this, pro/cons?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2023

Hi @Benny ,

good question and really either can work. For the most part, it comes down to what works best for you and your team. However, I think for me, I would choose the second option. The reason for this is it with allow me to track the progress of each of these subtasks. In other words, when something goes to in progress, and eventually done. So it would give me a little bit more history, and insight into where we are spending more of our time. So I like the idea of creating a story that would be for prospecting, and then subtasks underneath. I would simplify this by using automation, so that if I create a prospecting story, then it would automatically create the sub tasks and assign those to the assignee of the story itself.

Benny April 12, 2023

Thank you @Jack Brickey for sharing your thoughts. I will discuss with the team to see which way suitable for them.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events