Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation to clone an Epic with child issues and their subtasks

Bahia Mezraoui July 24, 2023

Hello JIRA community!

I have a question regarding the cloning of an Epic when it contains child issues (which also have sub-tasks). I'm currently trying to create a rule for it but can only succeed at the first layer, meaning the cloning of the Epic itself.

Here are the 2 attempts I've made so far:

Automation for Epic cloning.png

Automation for Epic cloning2.png
For this second rule, I've indicated first level of cloning as Epic then Task then Sub-task that is why I've added the action 3 times.

I think I'm missing a step (or a few), any guidance would be much appreciated :)

Thank you!

3 answers

0 votes
Luka Hummel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 25, 2023

Hi @Bahia Mezraoui and welcome to the community!

While you can automate this, the set-up is quite tedious and the automation rule can break quickly if there are any changes. If you are willing to use a third-party app, our Deep Clone for Jira can quickly clone whole issue hierarchies (Initiatives → Epics → Tasks/Stories → Subtasks) with its Epic/Tree Clone feature.

Bahia Mezraoui July 26, 2023

Hi @Luka Hummel - codefortynine , thank you for answer I will look into this app :)

Hi again @Luka Hummel - codefortynine  just out of curiosity, I know you mention that setting up the automation would be quite tedious but can you share an overview of the steps if you have an idea? Many thanks!

Luka Hummel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 27, 2023

Hi @Bahia Mezraoui

I will try to give a basic overview of the steps. These are of course more complicated if you need additional field values copied or need to create more issue links.

1. Clone Epic
  2. FOR EACH Most recently newly created issue (Epic): Create issues and add parent field with Advanced fields under More options. {"fields": {"parent": { "key": "{{issue.key}}" }}}

3. FOR EACH All created issues: Create Subtasks
Like Jan Tomek likes this
0 votes
Thibaut Subra _Elements_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2023

Hello @Bahia Mezraoui 

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I see that you find yourself needing to copy Epics along with their entire issue tree, know that we developed an app called Copy & Sync and it’s just what you need!

We've prepared a helpful "How-to" guide that walks you through the process step-by-step.

Moreover, as you're using Automation, know that you can trigger a recipe directly through Automation using our API with just one simple rule.

If you have any questions or need assistance, feel free to reach out to me anytime.

I'm here to help!

Hello @Thibaut Subra _Elements_ thank you for sharing, I will check it out :)

0 votes
Dexter de Vera
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2023

Hi @Dexter de Vera , I did see this question but it only give part of the answer to mine. Thanks for sharing!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events