Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation that keeps summary of parent task and subtask in syn

Pauline Hild July 15, 2022

Hi everyone,

I'd like to create an automation rule that changes the summary of an automatically created subtask when the summary of the parent task is changed.

The problem now is that I used a value for the name of the subtask, e.g. {{triggerIssue.summary}} Sample QC and when the summary of the parent task is changed, the summary of the subtask contains just the summary of the parent task but without the "Sample QC". 

How can I change my automation rule to prevent this? 

Kind regards,

Pauline

Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-15 um 13.09.08.pngBildschirmfoto 2022-07-15 um 13.08.51.png

2 answers

0 votes
Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2022

Hello @Pauline Hild 

For your use case, where you need the text 'Sample QC' always appended to the summary of the sub-task, you will need to update the second rule.

In place of copying the value for Summary, you will need to set it like {{triggerIssue.summary}} Sample QC

Please refer to the below screenshot where the description has been updated with a description from the parent issue along with text before and after it.

Kindly acct the answer if this helps.

Regards,

--GG

Update Desc.PNG

Hi Gaurav, 

thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, I didn't exactly understand the screenshot you sent. How do I have to set the value? 

Kind regards,

Pauline

Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2022

Hello @Pauline Hild 

Please follow the below steps:

• Click on the 3 dots next to the box below 'Description'.
  • This provides the options to select the operations. The options are 'Set Value' and 'Copy From'; select 'Set Value'.
  • This creates the text box under 'Description'. Please add '{{triggerIssue.summary}} Sample QC' or the relevant values.
  • This will ensure that the appropriate data from the parent issue is copied with the additional text appended and updated to the child issue summary.

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards

--GG

tempsnip.png

Hi Gaurav,

I followed the steps you've described and tested the automation, but it didn't work unfortunately. 

I added two screenshots in case this might help to understand what happened: 

Screenshot 1: Automatically created subtasks (always "Name of the parent task" + "individual element"

Screenshot 2: I changed the name of the parent task and the individual elements are missingBildschirmfoto 2022-07-15 um 18.31.52.png Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-15 um 18.32.11.png

Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2022

Hello @Pauline Hild 

It would be interesting to see the automation rule configuration. I tried to create a similar rule in a test environment and it worked as expected. The rule screenshot is as below.

I would suggest comparing the configurations and updating if required. Please share your feedback on the same.

Kindly accept the answer if this helps.

Regards,

--GG

Update Subtask Summary.png

Update Subtask Summary - Test 1.pngUpdate Subtask Summary - Test 2.png

Pauline Hild July 17, 2022

Hi Gaurav,

the rule you've created does exactly what I want my rule to do so I compared the configurations and tried it out again but without success. I have no idea why it doesn't work.

The audit log shows that no action has been performed (screenshot).

Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-17 um 14.55.29.png

Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2022

Hello @Pauline Hild 

Kindly share the screenshots for the rule configurations. This would help in identifying the problem.

Regards,

--GG

Pauline Hild July 19, 2022

Hello,

you'll find the rule configurations in the screenshots below.

Regards,

Pauline 

Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-19 um 10.00.26.pngBildschirmfoto 2022-07-19 um 09.59.59.pngBildschirmfoto 2022-07-19 um 10.00.06.pngBildschirmfoto 2022-07-19 um 10.00.17.png

Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 19, 2022

Hello @Pauline Hild 

The rule configurations seem okay. Could you please check and share the 'Audit Log' for the rule?

Regards,

--GG

Pauline Hild July 19, 2022

Hi, 

I already shared a screenshot of the audit log above. Nothing has changed in the mean time.

Regards,

Pauline

Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2022

Hello @Pauline Hild 

I probably did not communicate clearly. For a story with sub-tasks, please update the summary which would trigger the automation rule. Kindly share the Audit Log for this new execution. 

This would look something like the below screenshot.

Regards,

--GG

Audit Log.PNG

Pauline Hild July 20, 2022

Hi Gaurav,

I think I misunderstood you, I'm sorry.

I created a task and then changed the summary of it which should trigger the rule. 

Here's the screenshot of the audit log: 

Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-20 um 09.45.01.png

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2022

Hi @Pauline Hild , I just did a quick test using {{triggerissue.summary}} also this and it worked fine. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2022

I don't quite understand your first image though. Can I see the details of the "then edit issue"?

Hi Jack,

tanks for your answer. The first image is a screenshot from the automation that creates subtasks automatically, I forgot to mention it, sorry. 

Here's the screenshot you wanted to see: 

Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-15 um 14.26.18.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2022

Ok so I expect what may be happening here is that it's a bit of a race condition. What I would suggest doing is to have a separate action to edit the summary field and preface that with a refetch data action. So basically it looks like this...

create subtask

refetch data

update summary

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders