Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Automation copying custom fields doesn't work

Edited

Hi everyone,

I've got a question concerning the automation rule I created. I want the automation to copy certain custom fields (summary, description, due date) from the parent task to the subtasks. For creating the subtasks, I'm already using an automation rule that works. 

My problem: When I add information to one of those custom fields in the parent task, they aren't copied to the subtask --> the automation doesn't work. 

I added a screenshot of my rule and the audit log. 

Thanks you in advance

Pauline 

Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-10 um 12.22.18.pngBildschirmfoto 2022-07-10 um 12.23.17.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

So the fields you're trying to copy are not custom fields, but that doesn't affect the rule you've defined.

There are a couple of things in the rule you've shown us that might be a problem.  The way the rule reads at the moment is

"When I create a task, then with its subtasks, edit three fields".  

Problem 1 - when you're creating a new task, it won't have any sub-tasks.  They can only be created after the parent has been created

Problem 2 - you've got a block that says "edit fields" but there's nothing here to tell us what you are editing - it obviously needs to say "copy field content from parent issue", but you've not shown us how you have told it to do that

On the second problem, it may be that you've set it up fine, but it's never executing it because it hasn't got any issues to actually do it to.

Ok, I understand the problems you explained but how can I solve them to make it work? 

Here's a screenshot from die "edit fields" block (I created it according to a tutorial on YT) 

Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-10 um 13.32.23.png

That's great, you've absolutely nailed the action in that screenshot, it should do exactly what you describe you want.

So the problem is the "when" not the "get stuff done" part of the rule.  You'll need to change that to be triggered at a different time,

You say "when I change a field on the parent issue", so you should be using a trigger of "issue edited" not "issue created".  I'd recommend "one of these fields is updated" rather than "anything on the issue changes", but I'm not 100% sure that's the right rule for you.

I think the rest of your automation should work fine, you've got the "with sub-tasks" loop in it, and the action looks completely right in your second screenshot.

I changed the trigger to "Issue updated" and now it worked, it's fantastic!!

Thank you very much for your help! 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events