Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation Failing to Create Issue Error

Ertwyn Henry March 31, 2023

I am using automation to create Linked stories to an epic it is working for all automation except one. I keep getting "Summary: You must specify a summary of the issue." even though I set one using smart values originally. Now I separated that task into its own automation and set the summary manually and I am still getting that message and the issue is not creating.

Automation error.pngAutomationSummary.png

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2023

Hi @Ertwyn Henry welcome to the Atlassian Community!

The error you are receiving may not be related to the Summary field but to the other fields mentioned after the Unknown fields set to create ...

Make sure they are added to the relevant screens and check that their context isn't too restricted, but allowed for the project(s) and/or issue type(s).

0 votes
Answer accepted

I figured it out I didn't have the summary field on the associated issue screen

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2023

Aha, glad it got sorted out. I would expect that default system field to always be on the issue screen. 😉

@Dave Mathijs 
I created a screen and screen context for every unique issue type. Is that the right approach so that every issue type can have its own isolated screen? Is that best practice?

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 31, 2023

One would only do this if really necessary or required due to limitations.

Within a single project, the simplest configuration is:

• 1 issue type screen scheme
  • 1 default screen scheme
  • 1 issue screen for all operations (create, edit, view)
  • 1 context for each field

Depending on the requirements, you can create a screen scheme per issue type of your issue type scheme if it contains different fields.

Only if you need multiple contexts for the same field, create a second context, either because you need different contexts for different projects, different contexts for different issue types or a combination of both.

It also depends on the field type. This is not useful for text fields for example, but it can be useful for a select list, checkboxes or radio buttons.

If you need certain fields to be read-only after creation, then you can create multiple issue operation screens. Add the field to the create issue screen and the view issue screen, but not to the edit issue screen if you want to make it read-only.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events