Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation: Epic > Tasks >Sub-tasks

Wilcor G July 18, 2023

I am trying to automate our monthly tasks where every 1st of the month the following will be created:

EPIC > MMM YYYY Monthly tasks

Task > Monthly Task 1

- Subtask 1

- Subtask 2

- Subtask 3

Task > Monthly Task 2

- Subtask 1

- Subtask 2

- Subtask 3

I was able to create the automation where the epic is scheduled but the sub-tasks are going under the EPIC and the Tasks are created outside the epic. Below is the SS of the automation and the results:

Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 7.01.14 PM.png

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2023

@Wilcor G , Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

There's no easy way to explain this, but I will try to leave all steps that you need to follow to get your result.

1- Creating your Epic

• To have the current month/year in Epic Summary, you need to fill the summary with this value: {{now.format("MMMM,YYYY")}} Monthly Tasks
    • What this does? This will create your Epics like this: July,2023 Monthly Tasks and automatically the next month will be August,2023 Monthly Tasks
  • After the action created epic, create a variable with this smartvalue: {{createdIssue.key}}
    • This variable will record the key for the Epic Issue and we gonna use him to set Epic Link for the tasks

Screenshot_127.png

2- Creating Tasks

• After the variable to record the Epic Key add a new action to create a task issue, you need to select the field 'Epic Link' and inside this field paste the variable you've created to record epic key

Screenshot_128.png

• Add a new action to create your second task monthly and repeat the step for Epic Link field pasting the variable to get Epic Key

This is our automation untill now

Screenshot_129.png

Just for safe reasons (delay), after the second task creation I added a branch for 'Most recently created issue' and inside the branch I added a re-fetch action

Screenshot_130.png

3- Creating Sub-tasks

After the Branc for Re-fetch issues add your subtasks actions. I added 6 create sub-tasks actions.

• For the 3 first inside the Parent Issue field you select this variable: {{createdIssues.get(1).key}}
    • This is the variable issue key for the first task created for your rule

Screenshot_131.png

• For the 3 last sub-tasks actions, in the Parent Issue field you need to add this second one variable: {{createdIssues.get(2).key}}
    • This is the variable issue key for the second task created for your rule

Screenshot_132.png

It works pretty well for me. You can try and back with your feedback of this answer :)

Regards,

Fernando

Wilcor G July 18, 2023

THANK YOU @Fernando Eugênio da Silva ! It works like a charm :) 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events