Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic (time) adjustment from task to subtask

Thomas Bartsch July 12, 2023

If I create a subtask of a task and then change the time of the subtask, for example in the timeline, the time of the parent task automatically adjusts to the time (start time and end time) of the subtask. But I want to schedule the subtask independently from the parent task.

The same happens if I change the time of the parent task instead of the subtask. Then again the subtask takes exactly the start and end time of the task.

I'm new to Jira - maybe the question is a bit stupid but I have no idea how to resolve this described (time) relationship.

I would be very grateful for a tip!

1 answer

0 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2023

Hi @Thomas Bartsch and welcome to the community!

change the time of the subtask

What "time" are you changing on the sub-task?  You should be able to provide an isolated Due Date on the sub-task from the parent to provide the delineation. 

If your goal is to separate into different sprints then you're getting expected behavior.  From a sprint perspective, sub-tasks always follow their parents.  Instead, you'd be better served using another Task with a link type of "Blocks" against the original parent task.  This would allow the two to exist in different sprints, but still show that they are related.

Thomas Bartsch July 14, 2023

Thank you very much for your reply!
For the start and end time, I have two identical form fields in both the story and the subtask.
Start Time: Form Field: Start Date
End Time: Form Field: Due Date

Finally, I have a small project with corresponding subtasks. These subtasks have different times. Where the project runtime has a fixed time.

So I have to schedule different subtasks with logically different time requirements within a fixed project runtime.
This requirement seems pretty normal to me.
I wonder why I can't easily schedule something like this in Jira.

Thanks for your effort!

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2023

Hmm - I'm not aware of changing the due date on a parent or sub-task automatically changing the date on its child/parent respectively.  Has any automation (Project Settings >> Automation) been configured in your environment?  

Thomas Bartsch July 14, 2023

Automation ... not that I knew. My Jira environment is very fresh and I have not created anything like that.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events