Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automate task duplication from one project to another upon status assignment to done

Aryeh Schwob March 20, 2023

I would like to transfer issues from one Jira Work Management Project to another upon completion of the workflow for the 1st project. 
So in our example, when the status reaches status of done in the first workflow project and the 2nd team is ready to pick it up I would like to create an automation that copies it over to the next Project which is also is also a JIra work management project.

How do I create that automation?

1 answer

0 votes
Aryeh Schwob March 21, 2023

HI @habib rahman 

Thanks for your response.

I was able to create an automation to clone the issue as you suggested. The automation did work to clone the issue into the same project upon transition to the specified workflow status. However it failed when I tried to clone the issue to another project. Both projects are Jira Work Management. I checked the error logs for the automation and it says

"Clone Issue
Could not create issue in project/issue type

10058/10058
"

Do you know whats causing that?

habib rahman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2023

HI @Aryeh Schwob 

Based on the error message, it seems there might be an issue with the project permissions. Please check the following settings:

1. Make sure that the user who created the automation has the necessary permissions to create an issue in the target project.
  2. Ensure that the target project has the same issue type as the source project.
  3. Verify that the target project is active and not in a read-only state.

If the above settings seem to be correct, you can also try the following steps:
  1. Check if there are any custom fields or required fields in the source project. You may need to create the same custom fields or required fields in the target project.
  2. Confirm that the workflows used in both the source and target projects are the same.

If the issue still persists, you can try cloning an issue manually to see if it is an automation-specific issue. This can help confirm whether the problem is with your Jira instance, network, or source and target projects.

Thanks 

Habib. 

Like Aryeh Schwob likes this
Aryeh Schwob March 22, 2023

Hey @habib rahman 
I checked for the following issues:

1. User is me. I am admin and team member in both projects. Automation is executed by me.
  2. Target and source project both are tasks
  3. I am able to add and remove issues to both projects, so they are both active projects
  4. There are no required fields in any projects
  5. Workflows are the same structure in both projects. (The steps in the workflow are named differently and there may be more steps in one project than in the other project) Both projects start with a beginning and end with done status (They have different names assigned to the status' though)
  6. I have tried cloning within the project to the same project and it was successful, it is only when I try to clone to another project that it fails.
Like habib rahman likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events