Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add text to issue summary based on custom field

Sean Davies May 10, 2021

Hi, I'm completely new to Jira and want to use it for managing requests from multiple clients. I've created a custom field where I select the client from a dropdown list on the issue (task), and I'm trying to create a rule that will add the clients name to the issue summary. Is this even possible? 

So, the process would be:

1. Issue created called "change opening hours on website"

2. Client "ACME Plc" selected from custom field dropdown

3. Automatically, issue summary becomes "ACME Plc - change opening hours on website"

Any help here would be really appreciated, or even suggestions of a better way I should manage work with multiple clients. 

2 answers

0 votes
Yvan Martin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 13, 2021

Hi there @Sean Davies

Developer from Automation here.

You should be able to achieve this by using edit issue with the help of some smart values as Chase mentioned in the other answer.

In particular here's an example rule I created with a single select dropdown I named "Single Select Field", you should be able to do something similar by putting in your field name and setting it up based on your Jira instance. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 3.37.58 pm.png

Atlassian support can also help for issues with your rules https://support.atlassian.com/

Cheers.

Bill Tanner November 14, 2021

I am trying to do the same thing but pull the custom field value from a trigger issue.  So, the user creates an issue, and then multiple sub-tasks are created.  We want to pull the value from custom field 20300 and append it to the summary of each sub-task created.  Ideally, we will use the Custom Field ID.

So far, the syntax is not working. I tried {{triggerIssue.customfieldId.20300}} but it is not working. 

Any suggestions on the proper smart value syntax?

0 votes
Chase Wilson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 10, 2021

Hi @Sean Davies , sure thing! You can dynamically populate information into fields using the values of another field. Here's more documentation on the topic.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events