Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating SSO - what happens to existing users?

Justin Auth November 20, 2023

Hello everyone,

i have a question with a probably simple answer that i could not find an answer for (apologies).

When i connect Azure AD as an identity provider to enable SSO what happens to the existing users? Will this cause sideeffects for the user or does the atlassian cloud recognizes that user xyz@domain.com is the same user xyz@domain.com that is logging in via SSO?

Right now every user has an account with a password.

Thanks in advance

Justin

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2023

Hi @Justin Auth 

Aside from a change in how they access/login, not a huge amount changes.

You'll have already claimed your domain, so the users will be under your management at this point (via Atlassian Access).

Once you activate SSO and enforce it via an authentication policy, the user will need to use the SSO login method assigned to them to login into any Cloud instance they have access to. This removes the need for a separate password.

Ste

Thank you for the insights and the fast response! 

So for my understanding: When we don't have atlassian access right now, the accounts are considered as "unmanaged".

When we purchase Atlassian Access, we can manage the accounts, right? Does this switch causes some sideeffects?

Thanks in advance again!
Justin

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2023

Hi @Justin Auth 

Yes, at present the accounts are unmanaged - that means users are creating their "own" Atlassian account using their business email. That means you can't deactivate their account (for example), even if they leave the company.

With Atlassian Access you can claim your domain, and thus manage those accounts. There's no inherent side effect for those users, it just gives you more control over those accounts (i.e enhanced security and access control practices).

Ste

So they don't have to re-register or something similiar when i claim the domain and thus their accounts. I was thinking about side effects like users' assignee status disappearing in issues or something like that. But i'm happy to hear that there are none known, inherent side effects.

Thank you for clarification.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 20, 2023

No the intent is for you to claim their accounts - i.e accounts under a domain which your business owns.

Ste

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events