Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 intake form to multiple projects

Sarah Daily March 18, 2022

I have multiple projects for 1 team in Jira Work Management. I know that each project can have its own intake form for requests but I would like to have 1 intake form for all projects where there is a dropdown field to select the appropriate project for the request. Is this possible with Jira or is there a workaround I could use?

3 answers

0 votes
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2022

Hi @Sarah Daily 

If the people filling out the form know which project (or can be easily reminded which project) why not have a centralised location where the forms (yes a form for each project) links are located.

I'm thinking a Confluence page (but could be Sharepoint, or whatever) where you get a wee blurb about what each form is for, which project it is destined to end up in etc. In this way you are creating a kind of pre-form landing page with some guidance to ensure people click the right link.

The beauty of this is, each project can continue to grow, change and have any new fields easily incorporated into their from, without disturbing other projects, or breaking automation rules etc. 

0 votes
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2022

Hello Sarah,

This isn't currently possible with the form functionality in JWM, each form is tied to a specific project.

This is true for Jira Service Management (JSM), your request types are submitted into issues for one specific project. Natively speaking, JWM or JSM doesn't allow you to use one form that submits data to multiple projects.

However, if you wanted to workaround this limitation, what you could do is:

1. Create a field (dropdown) in your JWM project that has a list of all your Jira projects (there is a custom field type for Project picker which shows all project options available to the user - see below):Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 12.14.44 PM.png

2. Include this field in your form

3. Create an automation rule that checks the value in this field, based on the value create (or move) the issue to the appropriate project.

This approach seems manageable if your use case is pretty simple, but it could quickly get complex if you have different fields in different projects. 

Hope this helps

@Sam Nadarajan thank you, can you provide more details on the custom field? I don't see the project picker available when I go to create a new field on the task issue type in JWM.Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 11.46.50 AM.png

Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2022

Oh you're in a team managed project, okay the project picker field is only available for company managed projects.

In this case, unfortunately you'll have to manually populate the dropdown with a list of projects. This may be cumbersome to set up initially, but hopefully your project list doesn't change too frequently that you need to make dropdown changes so frequently

@Sam Nadarajan can you create a company-managed project in JWM?

@Sam Nadarajan there doesn't seem to be an issue action in automation rules for moving an issue.

Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2022

Hello Sarah, yes, company managed projects can be created in JWM, but only administrators can create them:

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 1.55.24 PM.png

You're right, automation rules don't currently support moving an issue. What you can do is clone the issue and remove the original issue, as outlined here.

Hope this workaround helps

@Sam Nadarajan the project picker custom field type is not supported by Jira forms: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-work-management/docs/manage-your-form-fields/

thanks for your help - please do let me know if you have any other suggestions.

0 votes

Can Jira service management be used for something like this?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events