Jira Work Management Missing Features

Gail October 24, 2022

We really want to start building business projects using JWM; however, the little bugs/missing features are causing users to run the other way.   There are enhancements out there, but we all know how fast enhancements get reviewed and become actual future releases.

You may or may not have found this one -- You CANNOT use a JWM form to create an EPIC issue type..   I opened a case with support, and they verified this is true because forms do not support the field EPIC NAME.    Workaround is either an automation to "move" a task issue type to an epic issue type OR to do it manually.

We have a few business teams wanting to use JWM for the views like calendar and timeline/Gantt.  The first thing that causes them to run away is the 2-level parent/child hierarchy instead of the 3-level that Jira Software has.    I see that enhancement is coming in a future release LINK hopefully before the end of 2022.

If anyone else has encountered the issue with JWM forms not being able to create an epic, the support rep created an enhancement request HERE     Feel free to vote and comment on it.

FYI - we are CLOUD.   If anyone has a workaround on this one, I'd love to hear it.    Thanks Community!

4 comments

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2022

Hi @Gail ,

I feel like those business teams are trying to fit their process in to a product because of a single feature (being timeline/gantt (and calendar))

Have you considered using a JSW project with an app on top like Structure or BigPicture? (or some other planning app?)

That way you get your 3-tiered approach but also the added features of those apps including the timeline/gantt view.

Like # people like this
Gail October 24, 2022

Hi Dirk.

We don't use any integrations or add-ons in our Jira so we don't have those options.   The main requirement for these biz teams is to be able to create a form and share with stakeholders for intake.      We have JSM, but we have limited licenses so when teams need a lot of agents we can't accommodate it right now.

Thanks

Cloudites Owner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2022

Have you attempted to use Epic Link instead of Name?

Gail October 24, 2022

I have not because the Atlassian Support Rep researched the issue with dev and told me the reason forms can't be created as an epic is Epic Name.

Cloudites Owner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2022

I'd put it in scope and try it. This field is the key you use when calling the parentEpic function for reporting purposes.

Gail October 24, 2022

I added epic link to my screens, but no luck on the form.   I have issue types Epic, Task, and Sub-Task in this project.   When I click CREATE FORM, it does not give me an option for issue type but instead automatically selects task.    

Cloudites Owner
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 24, 2022

I primarily use JSM for production anything because it has the most comprehensive set of features. I disable Sub-tasks and recreate a main issue type named SubTask to make reporting work for dashboards without using add-ons.

Epic fields are available in the JSM portal and are not capable to be added to my forms in a JSM portal. Just tested this, bummer.

If you decide to use a portal with jsm like dirk mentioned you can accomplish what you want to do another way.

The JSM portal allows you to mix portal fields and form fields into a single portal view. So while I can't add the field to the form, the field is available to use for any 'portal request', and when you associate the form to the portal request all fields from the request and form are displaying correctly.

Gail October 24, 2022

Thanks.   I agree as I use JSM on not just my Jira and Confluence Support project but other help desk projects in the company.   The issue is that this particular team needs at least 12 people to work issues (agents).   We are limited on JSM licenses so we cannot accommodate this one.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events