cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Explanation Gone Wrong: Statuses

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2021

Sometimes we explain things incorrectly but most of the time we just do a poor job ensuring that those who we are working with understand what we are explaining.  Have you ever had a Jira incident or problem that came from an incorrect explanation or conversation that was misunderstood?  If so provide it below.

When I was training a new Jira administrator we were going over workflows.  I was explaining to them how statuses work.  I explained to the new admin that you can change a status name on a workflow but doing so changes the status name everywhere.  I explained that If you want to make a change to a status name then you will need to create a new status.  I also explained that if it was close you should just work with the customer to help them understand that this is just a status and that Open or Opened really mean the same thing and there is no reason to create Opened and just use Open.  

Later that week he received a request to change Completed to Complete on a workflow.  He made the change and shortly after our support desk blew up with reports of filters, dashboards, etc all breaking.  After a short scramble, we found the issue.  When following up with the individual I was able to determine that he misunderstood my explanation.  

1 comment

Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2021

Hi @Brant Schroeder 

The problem with the explanation also works the other way around.

A long time ago I was asked to set up a new project template and then new project. I received a workflow diagram and a very comprehensive description of what to configure. I started to work - it was very time-consuming because I haven't got a lot of experience back then and the project had quite unusual requirements. Except for the Issue Security Scheme, virtually every scheme had to be created from scratch. After quite a long time configuring the schemas, I was done and wanted to create a project based on them.

Then I realized that I was not asked to create a new project template, but just a new project. All schemas have been already created previously by another administrator. My task was only to create a new project based on them, which is a total of about 1 minute of work. There is of course a lesson I learned from that experience - always carefully read requirements and its details!

Best regards,

Piotr

Like Bridget likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events