What is a business project?

Welcome to Business project basics!

Jira Cloud consists of a family of three products: Jira Software, Jira Service Management, and Jira Work Management. Each product corresponds to a project type as shown below.

Jira Work Management = Business projects

Jira Software = Software projects

Jira Service Management = Service projects

When making a new project in a Jira Cloud product you will be creating a project from one of those three types. Each project type includes unique features designed with its users in mind. For example, only Business projects (also known as Jira Work Management projects) have the new list and calendar views.  This article explains more about Business projects specifically.

Are Business projects company-managed or team-managed?

For those familiar with Jira, you will recognize the names company-managed (previously "Classic") and team-managed (previously "Next-gen"). Business projects are exclusively available as company-managed projects. For those new to these concepts, you can learn more here.

Who should use Business projects?

While Business projects can help any team manage their work, we recommend Business projects for teams such as Marketing, HR, Finance, Legal, Design, Operations, and Sales. Business teams looking for project management features will get the most value out of Jira Work Management, aka Business projects. Business projects also allow for native collaboration with other Jira Cloud projects through functionality such as global automation and task linking.

What features are included with Business projects?

Jira Work Management has many unique features within the Jira Cloud family of products that are designed to help business teams work more effectively. Some of those include:

Business projects also include features common to the Jira Cloud family, such as automation, task dependencies, custom fields, custom permission schemes, custom workflows, and much more. You can find the full documentation for Business projects here.

For a larger list of features, visit this page.

Who can create Business projects?

Business projects can be created by both users and admins depending on your permissions configuration. This, alongside the fact that Jira Work Management is included with every Jira Cloud license, means that any licensed Jira Cloud user has the potential to create their own Business projects. Jira Admins familiar with other Jira Cloud products may remember that company-managed projects are only able to be created by Jira Admins. However, the launch of Jira Work Management has changed this.

Now, Jira Admins have control over whether or not end-users have the ability to create projects themselves. If given that ability, end-users will only be able to create projects from the default list of Business project templates.

To learn more about the new permission setting to allow end-users to create projects, click here.

How do I create a Business project?

Once you've decided to create a Business project and you have the correct permission setting to do so, creating a project is easy. Read here for more information on the topic.

How do I find the Business projects I've already created?

Finding projects is also quite simple. Look at the top navigation of your Jira Cloud instance, select Projects and click View all projects, then filter the Project type by "Business". You will now see a list of all Business projects that are available in your instance.

17 comments

Jesus Kiteque July 20, 2021

Congrats to the Jira Team for launching Jira Work Management. Thas a great addition to the family. I just downloaded the Jira Cloud Mac App, and there are many features missing, including the other views for Jira Work Management, besides the Board view. Are you guys working on that?

brainiq July 28, 2021

This has provided great insights for me. I could see a clear difference on some of the admin settings not available on the mac app. But then at least now I understand why some of my projects have some capabilities that others don't have based on the Jira cloud service chosen.  

spryce September 21, 2021

Yes, but wouldn't it be nice if I didn't have to scour the internet to find this article which explains why I couldn't create a team-managed Business Project...  

So Jira.

Like # people like this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2021

Hi @Chase Wilson and @John McKiernan 

Thanks for this information! 

Quick question: do you know if business projects behave differently than software projects for automation rule scoping?

Specifically, software projects *must* use a global or multi-project scope rule to access issues in other projects.  Yet I saw a community post that seems to indicate business projects do not have this restriction, and can, for example, clone issues with a project-scope rule into another business project.

Thoughts?

Kind regards,
Bill

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2021

Hey @Bill Sheboy ,

Hope all is well. 

No -  automation rules should work exactly the same across all projects. To access issues in other projects, you'd need to use a multi-project rule. 

One exception to this is the cross-product Issue create action. For example, if you want to create an issue in Jira Software based off an event in Jira Service Management – this will count as a single-project rule, not a global rule. More details here. 

Hope that helps. Also, just a heads up also that Chase has moved on from Atlassian in the past few weeks in case you are trying to reach him. I'll let you know soon who the right person will be to ask any Jira Work Management questions :) 

Cheers,

John 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Matthias Ortner January 19, 2022

@Chase Wilson : hey guys, great new project category. will it be possible in the near future to view the linked tasks to an epic in the timeline?

Like Samuel Adams likes this
Pablo Diorio January 19, 2022

Hello!! It was a wonderfull idea. Project mng has helped  me to organize proyects and activities and share them in a quickly way. 

tks

Raed Mohammed March 19, 2022

how to track time report in the business project ?

paul.hayllor March 21, 2022

Very dense at the moment, I want to add resources to my projects so I can track utilisation across each project individually, and also by how resources are being used across all projects (dashboard) so can anyone send me a link please?

Robb Duke May 11, 2022

Really great feature! I've had to bend Jira around my business processes in the past. Or more accurately, bend my work around Jira. This makes a great tool so much more accessible to other groups who aren't developing software or managing service queues. Such a great improvement!

Rowell May 16, 2022

In terms of product access, which license allows access to any Business project? We both have Software and Service.

John McKiernan May 17, 2022

Hey @Rowell

You can get access to business projects with your Jira Software license. Should be as easy as creating and sharing a business project. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

John

Laura Luna June 1, 2022

I can´t see the workflow menu at my left menu. How can I show it?

Omin Patel July 15, 2022

@Chase Wilson is it still true that Business Projects are only Company managed projects?

Because I am creating a project in Work Management type/category and they are creating as team-managed projects.

How do I create a Company-managed business project ? Is it possible? Do I need any paid subscription ? We are on Jira Premium, Software and SM

Like Stacy S likes this
Ian Swinnerton November 16, 2022

Hi,

We use Service Management for processing incident and service requests but are looking to expand usage for other teams' functionality. Where an issue raised in service management leads to something which becomes a project or a task within a project and would be more suitable to betracked through the Business Management tool  - is there a way to transiton or link existing requests from one project to the other?

Any tips or guidance of where to explore this option would be mich appreciated!

Regards

Like Vivek Kumar likes this
Kendall Totten December 1, 2022

"Business projects are exclusively available as company-managed projects" -- this appears to not be true. I am seeing a business project as a team project in my Jira instance.

Like Stacy S likes this
Moussa Mohamadou January 17, 2023

Amazing this feature. Jira work management. I like it.  Keep improving guys.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events