Jira Work Management FAQ

Welcome to the Jira Work Management FAQ

We're glad you're here. If you haven't already, watch our video to get a one-minute overview of Jira Work Management. Check out some basic technical and logistical details about Jira Work Management.

Important pages:

Jira Work Management pricing

Jira Work Management features

Jira Work Management documentation

What is Jira Work Management?

In short, Jira Work Management is a friendly, intuitive way for business teams (like marketing, HR, finance, operations, design, legal, and sales) to access the power of Jira and collaborate with their technical counterparts. The launch of Jira Work Management adds these new features today, with many more coming soon:

• 23 project templates, designed for every type of business team
  • List view with in-line editing, easy column management, and local filtering / sorting changes for users

• Calendar view with status category-based coloring and expandable modals

• Timeline view (similar to simple roadmaps) with support for Tasks, Subtasks, and every other issue type

• Board view with new lozenges for status categories and subtask visibility on cards

• Form builder with easy drag-and-drop functionality

• Project background colors

How do I make a Jira Work Management project?

A Jira admin for your organization’s Jira Cloud instance can simply make a company-managed Business project to get access to the new features. Jira admins of any Jira product can make Business projects, regardless of which Jira product is licensed. Jira Work Management is synonymous with Business projects.

For instances with only Jira Work Management provisioned, admins can now grant users the permission to create Business projects from the default list of templates. These users will not be able to manage any settings aspect of those Business projects — only create them. This is ideal for instances where admins want to leverage the power and consistency of company-managed projects but want to delegate project creation ability to users.

How will Jira Work Management affect my existing Business projects?

Every existing Business project on your Jira Cloud instance has been migrated to the new Jira Work Management features. It will not change any existing configuration settings or data. Due to Jira Work Management being a cloud-based product, the change will happen instantaneously. You can think of this change as simply receiving new features at no additional cost.

Does Jira Work Management use company-managed or team-managed projects?

Jira Work Management is built on company-managed Business projects.

How is Jira Work Management different than Jira Core?

Jira Work Management will be the new name and reimagination of Jira Core Cloud, complete with many new features and capabilities. As Jira Work Management is built on the same company-managed Business projects as Jira Core, every existing and new Business project on Cloud has gained these new features.

How is Jira Work Management different from Jira Software?

Jira Work Management was designed with business teams in mind — teams like Marketing, HR, Finance, Legal, Design, Sales, and Operations. Jira Work Management does not currently have scrum capabilities such as sprints, and it will not include features like code, pipelines, and backlog.

Jira Software is optimized for software teams who practice agile methodologies and have a need for scrum / kanban, sprints, version/s, or releases features.

How is Jira Work Management different than Jira Service Management?

Jira Work Management includes features like forms to help business teams consolidate their work in one place. However, it is not optimized for service-based teams or agents, who often need more service-specific functionality such as queues, customer portals, and SLAs. In addition, Jira Work Management forms are only accessible to licensed Jira users on that instance with issue create permissions for the project using the form.

How is Jira Work Management different than Trello?

Jira Work Management is a structured work management tool for organizations to plan and track work across teams and projects within a highly configurable, well-defined framework.

Jira Work Management is an easy choice for organizations that are already using Jira Software or Jira Service Management. With a Jira admin already in place, it’s simple to connect Jira Work Management as an approachable tool for business teams while still allowing for the admin-led governance and maintenance that teams and organizations require at scale.

The shared Jira Cloud application allows for dependencies to be identified early and information to flow automatically between the technical and non-technical sides of an organization. Jira Work Management leverages all of the enterprise-ready functionality of Jira to become the last piece of the puzzle needed for entire organizations to manage their work in one place, on one central system — Jira. If your organization purchased Jira Software premium, users will be able to use multi-project automation and ladder up Jira Work Management data into advanced roadmaps. Simply select a Jira Work Management project as one of the data sources to bring all of your work together.

Trello is a flexible work management tool for teams to plan and track work at all levels, ranging from weekly meeting agendas to executing big initiatives.

Trello focuses on flexibility and delegating management to end-users. It is the digital manifestation of sticky notes on a wall in the real world, which makes it particularly easy to get started for those who are new to work management software or looking for a better alternative to spreadsheets and task apps. Anyone on a team can create a board or contribute to a board for that team, which makes it easy to adapt the work management system to the needs of an individual, a project, or a team, at any given time —without the need for an admin or special project permissions.

A board is flexible enough to be used to plan and track work in every way that you define work. For example, you can have a board serve as the place to submit ideas during a brainstorm, vote on them afterward, and then use that same board as an information management system to share out those ideas as you keep the board updated with campaign progress, rich file attachments, and due dates throughout the quarter.

Is this available for Server or Data Center?

Jira Work Management is a cloud-only product. We will not be releasing Server or Data Center variations of Jira Work Management. However, we just announced that data residency will soon be included for no extra charge with all paid editions of Jira Work Management.

Do I have to pay separately for Jira Work Management?

For now, any licensed Jira user has access to Jira Work Management projects and features once enabled for your organization’s instance. Creating a Business project while using Jira Software or Jira Service Management means you are creating a Jira Work Management project.

You are still able to purchase Jira Work Management individually and can do so here.

What other features will be on the Jira Work Management roadmap?

More details coming soon! You can also check out our public roadmap.

• More improvements to our newest features

• Better reporting capabilities

• New ways for teams to collaborate with other teams

• Other exciting features built to unlock new ways of working

103 comments

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2021

@Chase Wilson - hi Chase! I tried emailing my plea* to try JWM to the email in this article but it bounced... can you verify that it's correct?

* obviously not a real plea, just a "pretty please" email

Like # people like this
Chase Wilson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2021

Hey @Dave Liao, sorry to send you in the wrong direction! Changed in the article, but feel free to email me directly at cwilson@atlassian.com and we can chat about getting you started.

Cheers, and thanks for the interest!

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2021

Thanks @Chase Wilson , emailed you! 📧

Like Chase Wilson likes this
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 5, 2021

Will be signing up to the wait list! So keen to try this out

Like # people like this
Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2021

I'm excited to start playing around with them!

Deleted user March 8, 2021

@Chase Wilson I have submitted my application to join the project. How do I know if my personal Jira cloud instance has been enabled for this new type of product ?

Amanda Ward March 9, 2021

@Chase Wilson I sent an email!

Chase Wilson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 10, 2021

Hi @[deleted] , during the Beta we'll send you an email before activating the new features for your organization. 

Like # people like this
Alex Janes March 12, 2021

"Jira Work Management is a cloud-only product. We will not be releasing Server or Data Center variations of Jira Work Management."

That is disappointing and does not continue to inspire confidence about how much you are investing into Data Center.

Like # people like this
Artur Wisniewski March 30, 2021

@Chase Wilson this looks very promising, any ETAs on the rollout? We're planning to move all work management throughout our company to JIRA, right now we're looking to configure projects and boards using classic software projects but if Jira Work Management is right around the corner we'd rather wait for it!

Like # people like this
Anton Zaratustra April 21, 2021

@Chase Wilson Hi! My name is Anton. I sent you an email and duplicate it here =)

I am an assistant on the advisory board of the Eat Market project.

This is a startup that is currently scaling up and now we need to fix business processes, and we want to do this in Jira, since the software development team of the product is already working there.

Judging by the description, Jira work management is exactly what we need for our tasks.

We need to track sprints within the operational team, communicate with the application development team, and at the same time create business process templates like paying bills or unboarding employees.

If you can provide access to the Jira work management functionality to us now - it would be very useful.

Thank you, you do wonderful things.

Kyle Swearingen April 26, 2021

Hi @Chase Wilson We are currently on the Jira Work Management Beta and loving the new views. I am trying to get the issues nested under Epics as it does in Simple Roadmaps in Jira Software but that doesn't seem to be working like that in Jira Work Management. Should it be working like the Simple Roadmaps in Jira Software or is that not available yet?

I understand the new timeline view is supposed to now include tasks and sub-tasks but wasn't sure if showing everything underneath an Epic was possible yet. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Also, I'm available to chat through email if that is easier for you. 

Thanks!

Kyle Swearingen

Like # people like this
Chase Wilson
Atlassian Team
April 26, 2021

Hi @Kyle Swearingen , glad to hear you're liking it! The issue nesting capabilities will be live within the month. The product images will be updated on the landing pages accordingly until this feature is live. You can also expect this functionality to come to the list view around the same time. Hope that's helpful! You can email me at cwilson@atlassian.com for more information and discussion on the topic. Cheers!

Like Jade Melcher likes this
Markus April 28, 2021

@Chase WilsonWill there be more feature parity in the future? I love the new features JWM, but not having more customizable boards like Jira Core is a huge deal breaker for me and my team.

I wish i could have JWM but with Boards from Jira Core Software....

DOA for me, i hope things change.

Cindy Chan April 28, 2021

From what I read, our license for Jira software enables me to to use JWM without additional license purchase. Is this a right assumption?

If it's right, am I able to convert our existing classic Jira projects to JWM projects?

Like # people like this
Judge Gifkins April 28, 2021

@Chase Wilson this looks great! Any idea if the List view will be available to Team Managed projects? 

Like # people like this
Iain McCarthy April 29, 2021

@Chase Wilson loved the launch event, and this product looks wonderful (especially the calendar view) for so many of our teams .... with one big gap.

Our business teams (HR, Finance, Marketing) are anchored in the JSM help center portal.

We use JSM for these teams so all of our internal service can be accessed by staff through the help center. This is a powerful unifying, simplifying facility for staff access to services. In fact it's more important for these teams than it is for IT and our tech divisions, who are quite happy in Jira Software. 

Our perfect world would see JSM help center requests land on Jira Work Management boards. We can fudge this with Jira Software boards using board queries, but can't see a way to acheive this with JWM. 

Is there any hope?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Chase Wilson
Atlassian Team
April 29, 2021

Hi @Markus , we absolutely have a better board experience planned for the near future! Feel free to submit your feedback on the left nav of a business project so we can address your hopes / concerns / wishes more directly.

Like Markus likes this
Chase Wilson
Atlassian Team
April 29, 2021

@Judge Gifkins thank you! Right now the Jira Work Management list is only available for company-managed business projects with no specific timelines set for it to appear in other project types. With that said, the functionality is great and I would expect other Jira Cloud products to adopt it sometime in the future.

Like James Willmore likes this
Chase Wilson
Atlassian Team
April 29, 2021

@Iain McCarthy glad you enjoyed it! We'd love to learn more about your use case as a team, so feel free to reach out to me at cwilson@atlassian.com. In general, you can use cross-project automation to create issues in Jira Work Management that are sourced from data submitted via Jira Service Management help portals.

If the people submitting requests through the help portal have Jira Cloud licenses, you could also use the new Forms capability in Jira Work Management to accomplish this. Cheers!

Like Iain McCarthy likes this
Adam Franklin April 29, 2021

@Chase Wilson I see that Work Management appears to be live but I can't see how to to add it to my existing cloud license. Is that possible?

Like gmartin likes this

The Calendar view does not seem to show SubTasks (the Timeline does however).    Is there a plan to have subtasks show on the Calendar?

Like IP Lead likes this

It is not possible to have Epics in these projects, right?

Like # people like this
Jade Melcher April 30, 2021

@Rodney Dsouza _Atlassian Certified Expert_ you can add the Epic issue type. Just be sure to modify the issue type screen scheme to include Epic Name since it's a required field when creating new epics.

@Chase Wilson great to hear epic rollups will be here soon. will you also plan to include epic labels on child stories? A true must!

Like # people like this
Jade Melcher April 30, 2021

Oh, and the ability to filter epics out of the board view? :) 

Like Jackie Sutter likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events