Explore October’s updates in Jira Work Management 🎃 Dark mode, embedded forms, sidebar, and more

JWM October.png

This month’s JWM updates are an adventure — I’ll be your guide!

Coming soon: Dark mode 🌑

If you joined us at Atlassian Presents: Work Life, you might have heard that dark mode is coming to a Jira near you. We know you’ve been waiting for this, so stay tuned!

Coming soon: Horizontal tabs 🗂

Horizontal tabs.png

Navigate through each of your projects with ease. Switch between different views, forms, settings, and more right below the project title.

Need to find a different project? That list will still be on the left side of your screen.

Favorite projects ⭐️

Assigned to tasks across different workstreams? Now you can keep your go-to projects top of mind and top of sidebar. Use the star button to pin them for convenience.

Spreadsheet functionality in List view ⬆️

Get ready to flex your keyboard skills with new, spreadsheet-inspired navigation in List view.

• Use tab or arrow keys to navigate across columns and rows
  • Use enter/escape to get into/out of inline edit mode
  • Cut, copy or paste information from inline edit more

Sidebar task view 👀

Sidebar task.png

Don’t lose the context of your project when you open an issue. Now, you’ll see it on the right side of the screen alongside the rest of your work.

Embedded forms 📄

Submitting forms is a piece of (pumpkin) cake when you don’t need to open yet another tab. Paste the link to a form and Smart Links will take care of the rest!

How are you feeling about these updates? Let us know what you think with your favorite GIF in the comments 👇

15 comments

Hamza Chundrigar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2022

So hyped for Dark Mode!!!

ezgif-2-a3077f0793.gif

Like # people like this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2022

YAAASSSS For horizontal tabs and YAYYY for Dark Mode! If Dark mode is on I'm presuming that whatever background color chosen for the business project is going to disappear?

Like # people like this
Katie Zavhorodnia_Appfire November 4, 2022

Horizontal tabs and Favorite projects ⭐️👏 and sidebar already proved handy👌

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2022

These are some fantastic new features - can't wait!

Like Abby Stiris likes this
Curtis November 17, 2022

Can now disable using Dark Reader when browsing Jira. 👌

Like Nic Beurskens likes this
Cameron McNabb November 17, 2022

Will Dark Mode be coming to Confluence as well? 

Like Dave Liao likes this
Hamza Chundrigar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2022

Hey @Cameron McNabb 

There are a couple of feature requests open that you can vote and/or watch for Dark Mode re: Confluence Cloud.

Here’s one for the Server version:

Cheers!

Like # people like this
Francisco Pastor November 17, 2022

Hope that dark mode arrives soon everyone is so hype for this!

Like Abby Stiris likes this
GJ@Respect Energy Expansion Team November 17, 2022

Uhm. Question - are You going ever launch in JWM possibility of hierarchical task structure? Even very simple: Project -> Epic-> Story -> Task?

I know that is implemented in Advanced Roadmaps but is crucial for every little bit more complicated bussines project...

Like Nikki Ballinger likes this
Tim November 18, 2022

Are the roadmaps still limited per project?

I need a multi project roadmap but jira premium is expensive only for the advanced roadmap feature.

Remie Bolte November 23, 2022

@Abby Stiris can someone from Atlassian Jira Work Management team please respond to this thread on the developer forum? Because this feature, which was not announced to partners, is starting to break apps.

https://community.developer.atlassian.com/t/about-those-horizontal-tabs/63103

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2022

TBH, I'm not a fan of horizontal menu change. Why does JWM have to be different from other products which have been working hard to improve the sidebar presentation?

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2022

What Jack said - the horizontal tabs look quite cluttered, and naturally are different than the other project types. For those who need to work in multiple Jira projects of different types, this is more mental gymnastics we need to do to use Jira. 🙃

Like # people like this
Haddon Fisher January 12, 2023

I've given feedback directly to Atlassian Product about this, but +1'ing @Jack Brickey and @Dave Liao 's sentiments around the horizontal tabs.

- It's superfluous. This exact thing already exists in the "Project" dropdown.

- Its not the same across Jira products. I am not in favor of the widening differentiation between Jira products. We use different the different products in conjunction with each other, so while it makes sense to me that big-picture features with a very specific application are silo'd (like the 'service catalog' in JSM for example), the smaller differences (workflow approvals, this new horizontal UI) are needless frustrations as you bounce between projects as we do our day-to-day.

- It makes the main panel cluttered. Each of the new JWM views are visually very complex; slapping even more text in there makes it worse.

Like # people like this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2023

Okay I was initially excited for horizontal tabs but because I switch between JWM, JSM, and Jira Software, the context switching is just too jarring. While it's minimal, the loss of space in the main section of the page means that I don't see as much of the timeline view as before, or the calendar view, which felt cleaner in the old way. 

I'm open and proud that Atlassian is willing to make bold moves in an effort to make things better, but this specific change hasn't helped me.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events