COMING SOON: See all your projects at a glance with overviews in Jira Work Management 👀

Chances are, not all of your work takes place within just one project.

You might be working on tasks or reporting on progress across multiple cross-functional projects. If you’re managing more than one project, you also need to see all the different dependencies that exist.

How do you pull together this information, so you get a bird's-eye view of what matters most to you? Now there’s a quicker and easier way.

Introducing overviews in Jira Work Management

With overviews, you get a clear visual of all the projects you need to stay on top of. You can view these projects under one goal or initiative, and track cross-functional dependencies, updates, and changes in one place.

Overviews (1) (1).gif

This makes it easier to prioritize your tasks, identify any dependencies at risk, and report progress to leadership. And all without the time-wasting that comes from constantly switching tabs and context.

If you use Jira Work Management with Jira Software Premium, you'll see this new feature in your business projects soon.

Got any questions or feedback? We’d love to hear from you :point_down:

19 comments

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2023

Now this is what I call an upgrade! Will I also be able to bring together other types or projects (Jira Software?) into this view?

Like # people like this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2023

It looks great, I'm looking forward to it.

Like # people like this
Abby Stiris
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 3, 2023

Thanks @Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_! I'd recommend using Advanced Roadmaps in Jira Software to bring the two products together.

Like # people like this
Hiwad Said [venITure] April 5, 2023

That is a really nice feature! 😍 Love it! 

@Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_  Like @Abby Stiris mentioned I would also recommend to use Advanced Roadmaps for different products :) 

Like # people like this
Dominik Březina April 5, 2023

At first I was enthusiastic about these news and then saw Premium mention. Now I am sad :( Having simple and clean overview over projects is a great feature.

Like # people like this
Collista Lewingdon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2023

I can say that this is an upgrade that I am really excited about! :) It should be easy to convince people to use it if they know that they have a landing page that can show them all of the things that they need to do in one place without needing to create a dashboard. 

Like # people like this
Stormy Willard April 19, 2023

Is this feature available now and if so how do I get to it?

K Yahoo April 19, 2023

Is this just the Project Summary page, but across more than one Project?

If so, please make it customiseable, because as it is now, the Project Summary page is pretty, but not that useful.

Like Collista Lewingdon likes this
Collista Lewingdon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2023

@Stormy Willard it is not yet available. Says "coming soon". And will only be available in the premium tier of Jira Work Management. 

Like # people like this
Haddon Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 27, 2023

This feature feels like it solves the same problem dashboards are supposed to solve, but in a more restrictive and less useful way. Right off the top, most experienced Jira admins I know recommend against making Jira projects for specific initiatives or work-projects...but that seems to be a fundamental assumption for for this feature.

Can we disable this? I'd really rather not have to answer the question "how do we customize this to make it useful" a million times.

Like # people like this
Andrej Freeze _ greenique
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2023

As a Jira Admin who manages multiple sites I agree to Haddon and am not looking forward to the amount of times I will have to answer, why this cannot be customized and why it is restricted to projects or initiatives.

Managing our companies products within Atlassian Assets for example makes it important for me to display data that relates to a product instead of an initiative. This solution looks nice, but likely is not going to solve, but instead raise many questions.

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2023

Agree! Would like a way to disable this feature. I know we've got Release Tracks, but that just delays what's coming...

Like said kouzibry likes this
Siobhan Flynn May 8, 2023

@Haddon Fisher Can you elaborate on what you mean here "most experienced Jira admins I know recommend against making Jira projects for specific initiatives or work-projects"?  Do you mean you are setting up projects only for ongoing teams?

Like Collista Lewingdon likes this
Collista Lewingdon
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 10, 2023

I have the same question as @Siobhan Flynn , why would it be recommended against for specific initiatives or work projects? We encourage the separation of projects at our organization. 

Like Siobhan Flynn likes this
Abby Stiris
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 12, 2023

Thank you for such insightful feedback and conversation everyone, I'm sharing all of this with our team. Please keep the comments and questions coming!

Like Dave Liao likes this
Brent Vierling May 18, 2023

Can I bring together 2 Jira Product Discovery projects? 

MANOJ KUMAR May 30, 2023

IS IT AVAILABLE FOR INDIA ALSO?

Haddon Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2023

@Siobhan Flynn @Collista Lewingdon the crux of this in my mind is that creating projects around "ephemeral" things like work-projects results in a lot of Jira projects. This in turn has some not-so-great impacts:

1. From a technical perspective, Jira projects are pretty "hefty" - depending on how you set them up, they create a lot of backend cruft that is time-consuming to clean up, and non-performant if you do not. Some of this is mitigateable by archiving projects, but not all - for example, if you archive a project with custom fields only used by that project, you still cannot delete those fields.
  2. From a general application user perspective, it creates some unpleasant experiences. Some of this is just UI not being designed to handle 100+ projects gracefully (think searching by projects in "basic" search mode), but it also extends deeper, particularly if each project has unique configurations and extra-particularly if you are using team-managed projects. Like the above, some of this mitigateable by archiving, but not all.
  3. This very much depends on the structure of your org and projects and the rigor of your project management, but it can make tracking work and ownership of work more difficult. Having a project per-team for example makes it very clear who is responsible for any tickets in that project, whereas being assigned work across a spread of projects puts the onus on you to make a dashboard or search to see it all.

It's not that it can't be done, but in my experience it usually turns into a mess pretty quickly. Since most of the admin tools don't support bulk-anything, cleaning it up is a big lift.

I have had the most success organizing Jira projects around teams. It's how the tool feels designed to work, and also creates the least problems. I've also run projects around products, with the main complication being "managing multiple Agile teams working on a single product", since the UX here can be a challenge.

Like # people like this
Jasmine.Goodwin June 26, 2023

Loving the new direction of this, but an amazing feature it would be great to have is being able to color code items in the calendar view. Right now we are only able to color code them by default to one of the statuses that are also set as defaults. Lots of good stuff in JWM though.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events