wildcard query for sprints

Donna Macauley February 14, 2020

We name our sprints with a code name and date numbers (for example ABC-200221). I need to create a filter that will capture all sprints beginning with the same letters. How can I do that in JQL? 

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 17, 2020

Hello Donna,

Thank you for reaching out.

Although the Sprint field does not support wildcard search (Using "~"), you can return all the Sprints that begin with specific characters by simply using the "=" sign and specifying the characters, as explained in this documentation:

The search is based on either the sprint name or the sprint ID (i.e. the number that Jira automatically allocates to a sprint).

If you have multiple sprints with similar (or identical) names, you can simply search by using the sprint name — or even just part of it. The possible matches will be shown in the autocomplete drop-down, with the sprint dates shown to help you distinguish between them. (The sprint ID will also be shown, in brackets).

That being said, the query below should work for you:

Sprint = ABC

Let us know if you have any questions.

haoyu900914 March 27, 2022

This returns the issue under that sprint. not returning the sprint itself.

Like Matt Otto likes this
1 vote
Richard Paquet December 29, 2021

Use Scriptrunner

and issueFunction in issueFieldMatch("Project = PROJECT-NAME", "Sprint", "SUBSTRING-FOR-SPRINT-NAME")

Richard

Pundit Jitendra May 19, 2022

Amazing! But I also found that the performance of this JQL was slower, a better way is here 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Is-there-a-way-to-use-the-sprint-name-as-part-of-a-query/qaq-p/51463 

Suggest an answer