why can't the owner of the automation edit it?

Daniel Vaksin April 19, 2023

Hey, i'm a site administrator on Jira and I recently ran into a problem where an employee in my company couldn't edit a jira automation rule even though she is the owner and the project's administrator. it gives her the option to "read-only".

It worked in the past and even though we didn't change her roles since then, now all of the sudden she can't manage the project's automation on her account

I've logged into her account and I can see that she can't manage automation in general - in any project, even though she is the owner of the automation and an administrator on these projects

2 answers

1 vote
Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2023

Hi @Daniel Vaksin , welcome to the community and thanks for your question. Please can you check this box on the rule and let us know what option is selected?

image.png

I know it is a little, 'have you tried turning it off and on again' but you could try to modify who can edit, save, and then put it back to test if she manages to edit.

If this doesn't help, please give us your feedback and myself or someone else will try to assist.

Cheers

tried that, unfortunately it didn't work :(

Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2023

Hi @Daniel Vaksin , thanks for your message and sorry to hear it didn't work.

Please can you share what you are seeing? I don't manage to replicate this issue.

jira.png

Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2023

Hi @Daniel Vaksin , thanks for your patience.

Please can you check this setting - 

Permissions required for Jira Cloud automation rules | Cloud automation Cloud | Atlassian Support

image.png

Is it possible that someone has modified the permissions for this user or for Project Admins in general in your instance?

Cheers

seems like everything is okay in that area

jira1.png

0 votes
sekhar reddy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2023

Hi @Daniel Vaksin 

Please check the owner of automation rule in the System --> Global automations rules and user permissions as well. Site administrator permission is not enough to manage the rules, you need Jira administrator role to edit.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events