why automation is not updating fields to linked issues

jinali-p May 20, 2020

Hi There

I have some automation rules set up to update some fields. So if due date is updated in an issue then the related linked issue due date field is updated too. It appears as succesful in the audit log but i do not see the change. The boards even say there has been a rule applied and to refresh, but still can not see the correct dates populated.

Please Help

Thanks Screenshot 2020-05-20 at 14.54.10.png

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2020

Hi @jinali-p ,

Can you share what you have for the details for the Edit issue field: Due date component? (The last component in the rule)

jinali-p May 26, 2020

Thank you for the response. Please see attached. It is happening with all automation with fields. The audit log says its been successful but i do not see it on the boards.

Thanks

jinali-p May 26, 2020

Thank you for the response. Please see attached. It is happening with all automation with fields. The audit log says its been successful but I do not see it on the boards.

jinali-p May 26, 2020

Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 10.48.17.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2020

Try changing Copy Due Date from Trigger issue, not Current issue.

Like Evelyn Hulsey likes this
jinali-p May 26, 2020

Thank's John, I do not seem to have that option ???

Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 12.30.11.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2020

It's kind of hidden - you have to click on the words Current Issue to see other options. 

jinali-p May 26, 2020

thank you so much seems to have worked. Are you able to advise pls if the below is the same issue. Tried to set it to trigger issue. Its updating time logs for anytime time is logged on a issue, i want the value to update the same on the linked issue? something to do with the time spent field :/. Cheers Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 14.16.18.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2020

Great! Glad I could help!

It looks like you are trying to set the value for Time Spent instead of Copying from the Trigger issue. 

jinali-p May 26, 2020

ahhh am i do something wrong here ? As the timespent field is mandatory.

Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 14.29.34.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2020

Is Time Spent not available instead of Created in your screenshot? You want to copy the Time Spent field from the Trigger issue. Correct?

jinali-p May 26, 2020

nope not seeing this in the list :(

Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 14.44.10.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2020

Did you try to type in Time Spent there? Sometimes it doesn't show the whole list until you start to type it. 

jinali-p May 26, 2020

Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 15.03.17.png

jinali-p May 26, 2020

nope still not there :(

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2020

Try putting this in as the Set value instead of copying:

{{triggerIssue.timespent.value}}

jinali-p May 26, 2020

Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 15.40.54.png

jinali-p May 26, 2020

hmmm its coming up with this, i do not want to set a time or date field as i want it pull through the updated tempo logs

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2020

No, you put that code in the Time Spent field, not the Date Started field. 

jinali-p May 26, 2020

Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 16.08.53.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2020

Hi @John McKiernan1  - I have run out of ideas on this one and not sure why it is not working. 

In a nutschell, Jinali is trying to copy down the time logged in a parent to a child. 

Like jinali-p likes this
jinali-p May 26, 2020

i see the below error when adding time on EAG-63 which is linked to PL-46, PL-46 timelog is not updated when i open tempo to view time logged against task

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 26, 2020

Hi @jinali-p (thanks @John Funk )

I suspect this error might be because you are using the third party plugin Tempo to do the logging of work. 

At the moment, you can't log work with the Tempo plugin via automation: https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-1269

I may be wrong so it is certainly worth putting  a question through to support but I believe that is the issue here. 

John 

jinali-p May 27, 2020

@John McKiernan  thank you for the response. I thought as much since tempo is third party :(. Will for sure put a support ticket in. Thanks @John Funk as well now all my fields are updating :)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2020

Glad I could help a little. Please post back here with the solution that Support provides so we can close this one out.

Good luck!

0 votes
Marcos Milanesio
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 24, 2021

Hi @jinali-p and @John Funk any solution about this?

Im the same problem. This is my config:

Local rule in a project, run over issuetypes linked in the same project:

error_automation_jira_update field.png

The log of rule run success. But not update fields.

Marcos Milanesio
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 24, 2021

The "atlassian-addons-project-access" is enable in permission schema for all permissions.

Marcos Milanesio
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 24, 2021

The screen for edit is the same for both issuetypes.

Marcos Milanesio
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 24, 2021

Sorry, resolved with "copy from trigger issue". ;-)

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events