what happens to issues in sprints if you disable backlog in jira?

Catherine Newstead March 13, 2024

I've got a backlog with sprints in, but this means that I can't create an issue on the board, only in the backlog. I know how to disable the backlog but I want to know what is going to happen to all the issues in sprints on the board (will they all stay on the board in the column they're in?), and all the issues in sprints in the backlog (will they move to the board in the to-do column?).  

2 answers

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2024

Hello @Catherine Newstead 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Are you working with a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project? That information will show at the bottom of the panel on the left when you are viewing your board or backlog.

You can't disable the Backlog and keep working with Sprints in either type of project.

If you are in a Team Managed project and you have Sprints and Backlog enabled, and you try to disable just the Backlog then you will receive a message that both will be disabled.

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 12.48.24 PM.png

In that case your board would switch to the Kanban view and all not-done issues would shift to displaying on the board.

It is a team managed project yep, thanks so much for your answer - so all issues in the backlog AND on the board would display on the board?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2024

Yes, in a Kanban board where the Backlog feature is disabled, all issues display on the board itself.

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2024

Hi @Catherine Newstead,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Since you are mentioning sprints I am assuming you are using Scrum board, and there you cannot disable the backlog since that is the default functionality for Scrum boards. The backlog can only be disabled if you are using a Kanban board, which does not have sprints. If you disable the backlog in the Kanban boards the issues stays where they are. The only thing you would have to do is associate the status that is currently indicate that the issue is in the backlog with one of your existing columns, or those issues will not be visible anymore. 

Hmmm I definitely do have the option to disable the backlog.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events