we needs to write a automation

Angel April 11, 2023

The Automation should be- when the dependent task is completed, then only my current task should be moved to dependent hold to On-track. 

Please tell me the automation procedure

1 answer

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2023

Hello @Angel 

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

Do you have any experience creating Automation Rules? Have you reviewed the documentation on the topic?

Have you tried to construct this rule? If so, show us what you have so far and tell us where you are having difficulty.

How do you indicate that one task is dependent on another? Are you using issue linking for that? If so, which Issue Link Type are you using?

Are the issues in the same project or different projects?

The basics of the rule you want are:

TRIGGER: When issue transitions
  • Destination status equals the value you use for the "completed" status
BRANCH: For Related Issues / Linked Issues
  • Specify the link type used between the dependent issues
  ACTION: (within the branch) Transition issue
- transitions the linked issue to the status you specify
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2023

Hello @Angel 

Did the answer I provided help you resolve your issue? If so, please consider marking the Answer as Accepted, to help other users find posts with validated answers/solutions.

Angel April 19, 2023

No,   I want to create automation. I never tried automation. But for this I am not sure How to create - 

The Automation should be- when the dependent task is completed, then only my current task should be moved to dependent hold to On-track. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 20, 2023

Hello @Angel 

I provided you with a link to the Automation Rules documentation. I suggest you review that as part of learning how to create Automation Rules.

I also provided an example of a rule that might work for you, with the Trigger, Branch, and Action components of the rule.

I am not sure that the rule will work for you without answers to the additional questions I asked.

How do you indicate that one task is dependent on another? Are you using issue linking for that? If so, which Issue Link Type are you using?

Are the issues in the same project or different projects?

Angel April 20, 2023

Sorry, I did not notice the question you asked, Yes it is linked with another issue, under story linked issue should be task. It is linked by "relates to" that task - issue type is dependent. 

same projects and also another project. So that's why it is very difficult to write automation, Please help me..

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 20, 2023

if the related task are in different projects you will have to create a Global Rule. That is the only way you can work with issues in different projects 

Can you provide a screen image that shows an issue that has dependent issues linked to it?

You said the task issue type is "dependent". Do you mean you have a special issue type named "dependent" that you use in this scenario?

Do you use the "relates to" issue link type to link other types of issue together?

Angel April 21, 2023

Support.PNG

support 2.PNG

Yes, the custom issue type name is "Dependent task." so here

The Automation should be- when the dependent task is completed, then only my current task should be moved to on hold to On-track. 

So once the dependent task - ASP- 674 is completed, then my current task should move to on hold to - on track automatically.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2023

Do you have situations where your "current task" has more than one linked Dependency Task?

Are Dependency Tasks ever linked to other issue using the "relates to" relationship where the other issue is not actually dependent on the Dependency Task?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events