use different due date permissions for different issue types

Simon Huprich December 12, 2022

Hi,

currently I'm configuring a project with special requirements.
So I have a question about the "Due date" field.

Situation:

The project is using different issue types:
- project initiative
- epic
- task
- subtask

The project lead would like to restrict the possibility to modify the due date:
- project initiative => only project lead should be able to change the due date
- epic => project team members can change the due date
- task => project team members can change the due date
- subtask => project team members can change the due date

Question:
- Is it possible to configure different "edit" permissions for different issue types in one project using one set of schemes?

I thought about the following:

1) Permission scheme:
When I assign the schedule issue permission, it is not possible to distinguish between issue types.

2) Field context:
I thought about creating a new context for the field "due date" and assign it to the specific issue type. But unfortunately, I haven't found the possibility to create a field context for the due date field. And I recognized that this functionality doesn't allow to configure the needed behaviour. It just manages options and values, but not permissions of editing.

3) Field configuration:
As I saw, I can assign a specific field configuration to every issue type, but in this configuration I can't modify the permission to edit the field.

What do I miss?

Thank you very much for your help!

Greetings
Simon

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2022

Hi @Simon Huprich try the following:

• Create separate workflows for each issue type
  • Add a self-reflecting transition called 'Update Due Date' to each workflow
  • Create separate screen schemes for each issue type
  • Create separate transition screens with the Due date field for each issue type
  • Restrict the transition to a user. group or project role depending on the issue type

Hi @Dave Mathijs
thank you for your quick response.

According to your suggestion, the only way to fulfil the requirements is modifying screen schemes, workflows, transitions, etc.

But - to understand it correctly - there is no way to configure the same with permissions, field configurations, etc.

Right?

Thank you very much.
Greetings

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2022

As you cannot edit permissions "per field" in a permission scheme, you need to add this field to a transition screen and and put a condition on the transition screen itself in order to work. In my opinion, it cannot be achieved otherwise.

Like Simon Huprich likes this

Thank you very much @Dave Mathijs 

Like Dave Mathijs likes this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 12, 2022

Thanks to accept the answer if it helped you.

0 votes
Sadaf Mufti _105601_ February 29, 2024

Hi @Dave Mathijs 

I have to control the slippage of epic due dates in my JIRA cloud instance.

I have done the following steps:

We are thinking of creating a report view for our leadership that gives comparison of epic start date, and due date and in case epic due date is overdue, team manager fills the revised due date. so the graph can gives us comparison of what was planned deadline and when does it actually completed.

For this I have enabled three fields in Epic Workflow that we would like our teams to fill and we need the process to be enforced via automation:

Start Date (to enforce fill-up, I kept the field mandatory at the time of creating epic)

Due Date ( Due dates are not cleared to team at the time of creating epics since the planning phase is in progress and dates are in establishment phase so what i need is Due date to be at least filled up once the work is started on epic. For this I have put condition on the workflow transitions to check if due date field in not empty. This will restrict the team manager to transition the epic workflow further without filling the due date.

The next requirement is to ensure once due date is filled up by team manager, he will not be able to change its value. How to restrict the editing of due date once filled up?

Further, if the due date has already passed or overdue, the team manager should be notified via email that the epic completion is overdue, either mark the epic complete in JIRA OR if there is a delay in epic completion, enter the new date in Revised End Date field.

PLease suggest solutions for the requirements in bold,

I have gone through your above solution i.e.

• Create separate workflows for each issue type
  • Add a self-reflecting transition called 'Update Due Date' to each workflow
  • Create separate screen schemes for each issue type
  • Create separate transition screens with the Due date field for each issue type
  • Restrict the transition to a user. group or project role depending on the issue type

but i didn't understand how to implement step 2, 4, and 5. Please explain or guide on this.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events