upgrade version jira & Confluence

SberAutopark December 17, 2020

Hi

JIRA:

I want to update jira version from (8.7.1) to (8.14.0).
In jira space, links between sites (Confluence, Sentry) and applications are configured.

With the last update, I lost connections between the linked sites (Confluence, Sentry) and the LDAP. (Saved files - jpm.xml / server.xml / setenv.sh / web.xml)

What presets and files need to be saved before upgrading?

Confluence:
The Confluence update was successful from 7.3.1 to 7.9.3.
Migrated files after update (confluence-init.properties/jira.jks/server.xml/synchrony-proxy.xml/web.xml)
Did I update correctly?

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2020

Hi @SberAutopark

upgrading is not so easy in some cases why I suggest reviewing the documentation
and as always to test on a non-production environment first.

The files you mentioned to backup first sound familiar but it does not necessarily mean you caught them all.

A lost connection usually rather means you haven't had the keystore (JVM / Java keystore) backed up so the SSL connection to your backend systems failed.
During backup Jira normally takes note about modified files and reports them back to you so you know which ones you need to put back in.

If you updates correctly is hard to tell from the outside - therefore I suggest reviewing the documentation and double check with what you have.

Last note: documentation is key - if you have Confluence or something similar just write down everything you did. It helped me a lot.

Cheers,
Daniel

0 votes
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2020

HI @SberAutopark ,

Before going to Upgrade any. Please make a note of the following,

1. If any add-on's there, Check for the Compatibility.

2. Database is supported or Not

Please backup following files Manually.

1. Server.xml 2.DBconfig 3.Setenv.sh / setenv.bat( JVM Memory related) 

If your Jira / Confluence  installed as Service, you can directly execute the .exe or .bin.

While the upgradation started, The system will asks to create a Application Directory and Installation directory as Backup.

Choose Yes.

Whenever there is a new file change from OLD to New The system will create a .txt file with "Modified files" list.

You can copy paste from Old backup directory to New directories before starting the service.

Thanks,

Anvesh

Suggest an answer