unable to access base url

James Caldwell May 16, 2019

I have changed my base URL and I am unable to access Jira using the new base URL (http://jira.domain:8084). even after changing the base URL I can only access Jira using localhost:8084 or through machinename.domain:8084 on other machines on our network. 

The error I'm getting is DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN. Any ideas?

I've had experience in doing such things with Confluence before but I've not had this issue.

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2019

This error means there's something wrong with your DNS.  Either jira.domain is not set up correctly in your network's DNS services, or there's something on your machine not responding to the returned DNS look up correctly.

First thing I would try is the command line -

• nslookup machinename.domain
  • nslookup jira.domain

And check the difference in responses

0 votes
Wade Tracy _Boise_ ID_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2019

Have you setup the URL on your DNS server?  Whatever DNS you are using for your network will need to have an entry for that URL that points to the IP address of the machine.  The base URL setting in Jira does not setup DNS entries, it just defines how links will be constructed in Jira.

Suggest an answer