track votes in yes/no model and customizing automated mail

Durga Prasad R February 5, 2014

For one of our collaboration program we are looking in Jira Agile workflow management
I have two issues needs expert advice/assistance
We will be sending an artifact (issue, epic, etc...) to a user defined group, that specifics group
should review the artifact (with review comments compulsory) and exercise their vote in YES/NO fashion to proceed with further work flow.
So if there is any way we can customize the voting pattern please do let us know, other suggestions are also welcome on the same.
Continuing the above scenario, if any one of the member of that user defined group doesn't exercise the voting YES/NO fashion after a specific period of time ( can be days/ hours...etc.. )
The system should allow to send an automated mail to another specific group (user defined)
with information consist of list of users who were not voted on an artifact (issue, epic, story etc..).
Kindly let us know the possibility of customizing automating the mailer part of this scenario.

Thanks for your valuable support in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2014

This is not clear to me, sorry. Do you mean you want ONE person in that group to say yes/no, or do you mean you want everyone in the group to be forced to have a say before it proceeds?

Durga Prasad R February 5, 2014

everyone in the group to be forced to have a say before it proceeds

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2014

Ok, well, the short answer is that there simply is no way to do this in Jira without a little bit of coding. Issue trackers generally work on the (rather sensible) principle that one person is responsible for an issue at any time and they hand it to other people and/or move it through the workflow as appropriate.

If you want to solve this in exactly the way you specify, then I think you probably need to write a field that can capture all the voting, with the users and then some more coding to provide reporting on it.

However, with a bit of minimal coding, you can get close:

• Find/write a post-function that will create a simple sub-task when the issue is handed to the group
  • The post function should run through the group and create one sub-task for each person
  • The sub-tasks created should have a simple workflow (open, yes, no) and be assigned to the user they were created for
  • You then get the display of yes/no/not-answered on the main issue, and you can drive all your reporting off the sub-tasks (including maybe a "jelly escalation" script to send out your reminder emails)
  • You can then use the "sub task blocking" condition to prevent the top-level issue from moving on until everyone is a "yes" (or have some form of override, so a super-user can make the decision to ignore the "no"s)
Sankar Vema February 5, 2014

Nic, is it possible to deploy custom code modules on jira agile hosted environment?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2014

If by "hosted", you mean Atlassian's OnDemand, then no. Only custom "Connect" stuff can be added to that and I don't think that supports the level of customisation you need here.

You might need to host this stuff yourself, or find an Atlassian Expert partner firm that does do hosting in a way that lets you install what you want.

(In the interests of fairness, I work for one such expert, so I'm in no place to make specific recommendations, although my lot are, of course, great ;-) . You should talk to a range of them to work out who suits you best)

Suggest an answer