stallation and Setup Process of self-hosted Jira Server stuck after Creation of Evaluation License

Björn Steinemann June 9, 2017

Hi anyone,

I have just downloaded "atlassian-jira-software-7.3.7-x64.bin" to my Linux virtual server and followed the installation details for an evaluation installation according to this documentation:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/evaluation-installation-861253020.html 
I am stuck now in the middle of step 3 "Set up your JIRA application". I called the Jira installation at http://<my-private-server>:8080 and get now to substep 3 which tells me:

"Follow the prompts to generate a license for the JIRA application you want to try, and apply it to your new installation. ".

I could successfully generate an evaluation license but I cannot apply it. There is no "Apply" or "Next" link or button or anything else. I get offered three options:
"Buy" - not what I want right now; I want to evaluate it first
"Download Server" - I did this already - the server is up and running already and sent me right here.

JiraInstallStuck_cleaned.png

What am I missing? I am looking forward for your help.

Best regards,
Björn

1 answer

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2017

Hi Björn,

you have to copy the license key to your clipboard and paste it into the form your new Jira installation is showing you.

That should do it.

Hi Thomas,

thanks for your very fast reply. Actually, the new Jira installation does not show me a form where it asks me for the license file. 

When I open the URL of the server installation it presents me with this page:

Screenshot1.pngSince I have an evaluation environment I choose the first option and follow "Continue to MyAtlassian". This is where I created my evaluation license on the fly. Now I expected to be either sent back to my server via a 302 redirect (since I jump off to myatlassian page with a redirect URL parameter) or I expect a button that triggers a redirect. This option is missing. 

When I navigate to  the URL of my JIRA server installation, I see the same screen again as above. So I am stuck here and don't see how I get the license to my server. Actually, the official documentation from Jira tells me the following:

Follow the prompts to generate a license for the JIRA application you want to try, and apply it to your new installation. 

Unfortunately, it leaves open, what "apply it" means. Am I supposed to download the license and upload it to the server somewhere? 

Best regards,

Björn 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2017

I have just tried the same, and I get the following message after creation of the license:

jiralicense.png

After clicking "Yes", the license was installed to my local Jira.

But this was on a Windows machine.

Maybe you can try the second option and enter the license manually.

As far as I understood, the second option implies that you have to configure a lot of things and need a separate database installation which Jira would rely on. I wanted to avoid that extra effort. May be, I try this path nevertheless.

Next to the OS I see the difference between your setup and mine that you have installed it on localhost while I have a private virtual server on a remote machine. Since this is a headless system with ssh access only I can't start a browser there and access localhost:8080. 

Many thanks for your help,

Björn

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2017

Yes, I think the VM is the cause of the problem. 

But setting up the Jira System manually should not be such a nightmare :-)

Good Luck

Thomas

Following the "I'll set it up myself" path I was finally able to setup the server. Luckily this path offered the choice between using a separate database and have Jira create an H2 instance. Funnily, this created a new ServerID and so I had to create a new evaluation license to get things done. 

Nevertheless, I think it is a bug that the first path sends the user into this dead end street. 

Again, thank you very much for your help, Thomas.

I upvoted your first answer but did not accept this as the solution since the problem (the bug?) still prevails. I opened a ticket with Atlassian support for it and will close it with the remark that the second path was viable. 

Best regards,

Björn

Suggest an answer