set default value for custom description field when you create issues in backlog/timeline/plans

BenWade April 24, 2024

Hi everyone,
I created a custom field similar to description. in the field configuration I have set default value but it only works when I create issue pressing on Create button. When I create issues using timeline/plans/backlog the default value does not appear. Does someone know how to tackel this problem?

image.png

image.png

#jirapremium
#jiracloud
#companymanaged

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
BenWade April 24, 2024

My bad. I made this field 'Required' and this is why it did not work. So you have set it as 'Optional'

Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2024

If it's required, it automatically pick the default value and create screen won't come.

Like BenWade likes this
1 vote
Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2024

Hi @BenWade  If it's mandatory field and field is empty in that case only pop-up will come to insert text in a field else if field is already having default value and mandatory, in that case Jira jira won't prompt to enter value, it simply creates an issue with default value. 

Workaround : Try to create an automation rule, which set defaults value on Create Issue event. 

Is field mandatory via Field Configuration and check context ?

Suggest an answer